FNRttC Southend Ride Friday 10th March 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The average moving speed tends to be around 12.5 mph, and we generally arrive a bit before 8 am. You should go through the website and ensure you've read through all the links on the right hand side of the Home page, such as the Basics.

Once we're out of London, you'd have to bail at places like Romford, and wait for the trains to start.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hiya ,
If leaving Waterloo at 12 , how many riding hours and approx average speed to keep up ?
Myself and GF interested in this , she has no problems , me , certainly got the bike and one good leg , the other is a bit dodgy , I would hate to hold things up , or have to bail , be handy to know what would be the mimimal ,
Ta
I think 1 good leg would be minimal :okay:

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Hiya ,
If leaving Waterloo at 12 , how many riding hours and approx average speed to keep up ?
Myself and GF interested in this , she has no problems , me , certainly got the bike and one good leg , the other is a bit dodgy , I would hate to hold things up , or have to bail , be handy to know what would be the mimimal ,
Ta

The system of waymarkers and tail-end Charlie's mean no one is left behind. The plan is to get to the half way stop for three and breakfast for 8am.

However before you commit please consider if riding 60 miles on possibly a cold and wet night is something you feel happy being involved in.

Last edited:

ozboz

Guru
ok , thanks for info , is it 60 or 40 odd miles this ride ? and are there any serious inclines , thats where I may faulter , but I have a plan to have a cassette fitted with an 11-34 , I am sure that will be suffice,

The cold and wet is no problem ,
I will check out the basics , pretty sure its do able at the average quoted , il be doing a 40 miler at weekend ,
I have registered us both , so
Hopefully .....,

Ride2017

We now have 47 registrations of which 20 are new riders to the Fridays which is excellent news

What's the maximum number of riders? When is the route given? Is there any info on how people are getting back i.e train tickets to book or a ride back to London group etc
Thanks

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

What's the maximum number of riders? When is the route given? Is there any info on how people are getting back i.e train tickets to book or a ride back to London group etc
Thanks

There is no maximum number of riders.

The route is not given out in advance as we ride as a group.

There maybe a few souls riding back but it can't be guaranteed. If you are wanting to buy in advance then I would suggest buying tickets from about mid morning however a lot of people club together to buy a group save ticket back to London.

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

ok , thanks for info , is it 60 or 40 odd miles this ride ? and are there any serious inclines , thats where I may faulter , but I have a plan to have a cassette fitted with an 11-34 , I am sure that will be suffice,

The cold and wet is no problem ,
I will check out the basics , pretty sure its do able at the average quoted , il be doing a 40 miler at weekend ,
I have registered us both , so
Hopefully .....,

Round 60 miles

mmmmartin

Random geezer
What's the maximum number of riders?
Highest number has been 500 or so, Brighton in the summer is about 120 ish, this is usually 50 or so.
When is the route given?
It isn't. You arrive at the start, we ride as a group and arrive at the end.You don't need to worry about the route, someone ese does that for you.
Is there any info on how people are getting back
You don't drive, you get the train. You might want to buy an off-peak single some days before, or hunt around for three others to do a Groupsave ticket.

best to start by going to
http://fridaynightridetothecoast.blogspot.co.uk/p/welcome.html
and reading that, then going to
http://fridaynightridetothecoast.blogspot.co.uk/p/the-basics.html
and doing everything there that you're advised to do.
you must be a Fridays member and have insurance generally via CUK

[EDIT] oops, beaten to it by AKABob[/EDIT]

GM

Legendary Member
Think of it as two thirty-mile rides with a nice rest in between. My average speed is usually more like 11mph than 12.5, and Southend was the first one I did, on my clunky hybrid. It's a very nice one to start with.

My first one as well. Lets just hope it's a bit warmer than that one, I think that was one of the coldest ever.

Top Bottom