Spa cycles Harrogate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sounds like they screwed up big time for @Kingfisher and I'd feel aggrieved if the same had happened to me.

But speaking purely personally I've had a long relationship with them with no problems. They've always answered my (sometimes completely dumb) queries helpfully, even general queries that are never going to result in a sale and were good about exchanging a product once when I ordered completely the wrong thing because I'm a bit stupid.

Venod

Eh up
They might not have a bad reputation on here but they certainly do generally.

I just checked Trust Pilot and they get 3.5 stars out of 5, I wouldn't say that's too bad.

Obviously you had a bad experience.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I just checked Trust Pilot and they get 3.5 stars out of 5, I wouldn't say that's too bad.

Obviously you had a bad experience.

It is bad when you read the sheer amount of negative reviews and also what people are saying. At the end of the day you pay you money and make your choices. I wish I'd been warned before I got stung by them.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Perhaps keep their county out of it?
Can't we move along from associating a geographic border with a character trait?
I find it offensive.

I used Spa, but got tired of their rudeness. I wouldn't buy a bike made of titanium, but there's plenty of threads on that.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I've no dog in this fight, but have seen many threads over the years. My view fwiw is that Spa are in the great majority of cases very good, and there's advice available that's not available in many other places. They stand behind their products and fix issues.
When things go wrong, they do tend to do so pretty spectacularly, I observe, often involving a certain brusqueness in terms of the customer experience :smile:
ETA
And just to add re online reviews - an unhappy customer is many, many times more likely to express that discontent than a happy one, which can skew the numbers.

Venod

Eh up
It is bad when you read the sheer amount of negative reviews and also what people are saying.

Yes the negative reviews are bad, but you said.

They might not have a bad reputation on here but they certainly do generally.

I was just pointing out the 3.5 stars on Trust Pilot which suggests more positive reviews than negative ones and an above average satisfaction rate on Trust Pilot, this would suggest they have a better than average reputation from Trust Pilot responders which is quite different to your generally suggested bad reputation.

I have no affiliation with Spa, just a happy customer who has had nothing but good service.

toffee

Guru
Bought 2 bikes fr6o them. The last one, a D'tour, in Oct 22. Did all the negotiating of the spec by email with Bob, only spoke to them to pay the bill. Bike is great and a service to match.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Bought two Ti bikes from them and an additional wheel set along with lots of small items. I’ve had no problems but am aware some have had issues. Based on my experience I’m very happy to recommend both service and quality.

Thread 'New Spa Ti Elan'
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/new-spa-ti-elan.293765/

There are also lots of pictures in the Titanium thread.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Only ever made one purchase from them. A pair of touring wheels for my Ridgeback World Panorama. They have done a few tours over the years, usually fully laden with 4 panniers. They have never needed so much as a tweek with a spoke key. Service was good, delivery fine. No complaints.

postman

Legendary Member
My beloved Dawes Super Galaxy with Mixie paint work came from there.25" frame a thing of beauty.Sadly i let it go to London.The biggest cycling mistake ever.It was such a great bike.The guy in the shop was superb with me.Mind you it is way back before 2010.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yet another happy Spa Cycles customer. I wasn't going to spend £2k+ on a bike (Spa Elan Ti) without testing one so I booked a test ride with them and they held the test bike back despite being in the middle of packing for a trade show. Took the train to Harrogate, had a night in a hotel and went for the test ride the following morning. Following the ride and a quick discusion regarding exact specifications my credit card details were being taken. They even offered to loan out the bike for a few more hours before I caught the train home.

There was a slight hitch in that they fitted a 10 speed cassette instead of the 11 speed one, but a quick phone call sorted this out and the correct one was quickly in the post to me.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
. I wonder if a frameset needs a cycle reservation on LNER?

It's just luggage :okay: same as any bicycle, take the wheels off, it's no longer a bicycle just luggage. That's how many conductors on Northern work, once had 8 "items of luggage" & 2 bikes on a train at Bridlington ^_^

Top Bottom