Space Saving Bed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Can anyone recommend adult bedding that doubles up as a sofa for daily use ?
Are futons are uncomfortable as they look ? Does anyone use a sofabed on a permanent basis ?
Thanks in advance

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
A futon is better for a more permanent bed but they can be a bit hard unless you use some memory foam.

A sofa bed is better for a softer bed plus it's easier to get in and out of.

The thing to think about is the mattress becoming compacted if used regularly as a bed as well as it being sat on.

I used to live in a studio flat and sleep on a sofa bed which was serviceable, but as soon as I could I bought a decent mattress.
You can find lots of ways to hide a bed but first and foremost you need a good mattress for a good night's sleep.

Willow

sheddy said:
Can anyone recommend adult bedding that doubles up as a sofa for daily use ?
Are futons are uncomfortable as they look ? Does anyone use a sofabed on a permanent basis ?
Thanks in advance

I have an aerobed which plugs into the mains to blow it up and is great. I have a sofabed but the aerobed is far more convenient and rolls up into a bag, the single is sleeping bag size, they do a double too. Single cost me about £40 I think. Personally I don't think sofa beds or futons are comfortable to sleep on, futons I find too hard and sofa bed mattresses are almost non existent. that being said I do think after a period of time you tend to get used to things. I'd be more tempted to buy a comfy bed and use bean bags to sit on.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Can anybody recommed a folding sofa bed? No. They are too heavy to move around and disastrously uncomfortable; I had the misfortune to lodge on one in France for a few weeks.

Get a Futon, the base folds to make either a nice flat bed or a sofa and the mattress is natural cotton and fantasically comfortable. Nice and firm if you have a bad back too. Because they are easy to move they are great for changing rooms around or when moving house.

Moose

Rigid Raider said:
Get a Futon, the base folds to make either a nice flat bed or a sofa and the mattress is natural cotton and fantasically comfortable. Nice and firm if you have a bad back too. Because they are easy to move they are great for changing rooms around or when moving house.

Fantastically confortable for you, maybe. I 'slept' on my partners futon when we stayed at her studio and it was awful for me. So awful in fact, that I encouraged her to stay at mine as often as possible.

We have just bought an Aerobed, similar to what Willow has. We bought the double that is the same height as a normal double bed, but we've only just bought it (last week) and nobody has slept on it yet so I can't tell you if it holds the air all night with someone's weight on it.

It did inflate in 3 minutes and it has held the air for two nights without any weight on it. So far I'm impressed. Having bought about 3 or 4 airbeds before that have made claims about inflation times, this one is the only one that actually did what it claimed.

peanut

The trouble with futons are they are all European copies of the real thing.
I once had to sleep on a proper Jap futon ,which is incidentally are about 3" thick, an orangy/brown colour and extremey heavy.
They should be placed directly on the floor as a slatted board type bed base will be very uncomfortable

It was a complete shock to me as I had the most sound sleep of my life.
it was amazing.

I have been really disapointed with the rubbish made in the last 10 years or so .
I would recommend you get two futons and use doubled up. Memory foam is extremely hot to sleep on and not very supportive particularly for heavy people

Globalti

Legendary Member
We owned a Futon, well... we bought it from the Futon Shop, which probably doesn't mean it was a real Futon because the name has become generic, like Hoovers. The mattress was dense heavy cotton, about 4" thick and we had it on a slatted base. It was very firm and unyielding but like you I slept better on that than on a sprung mattress. I can also remember waking up the first morning and thinking I'd had the best night's sleep for years.

peanut

Rigid Raider said:
We owned a Futon, well... we bought it from the Futon Shop, which probably doesn't mean it was a real Futon because the name has become generic, like Hoovers. The mattress was dense heavy cotton, about 4" thick and we had it on a slatted base. It was very firm and unyielding but like you I slept better on that than on a sprung mattress. I can also remember waking up the first morning and thinking I'd had the best night's sleep for years.

I recommended my girlfriend get one years ago for her flat before we moved in together. She went out and bought a cheap one with a folding type sofa/bed base.

We kept knocking our ankles on the bloody thing for 6 years before we offloaded ahem lent it to one of Kathy's friends :biggrin:

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I also have a futon from the Futon shop and love it. It gives a great night's sleep. Mine was the upgraded mattress though so I don't know if the basic ones are as good. I do find it a pain to turn from the sofa to bed and vice versa though so don't think I'd want to do it everyday. Or maybe you develop a knack?

peanut

HelenD123 said:
I also have a futon from the Futon shop and love it. It gives a great night's sleep. Mine was the upgraded mattress though so I don't know if the basic ones are as good. I do find it a pain to turn from the sofa to bed and vice versa though so don't think I'd want to do it everyday. Or maybe you develop a knack?

traditionally the japanese roll their futon up and stuff it into a cupboard . Much better idea. They may be a passable bed but they are rubbish as a sofa.
I'd buy a futon without the base and put it directly on the floor and have a proper comfy chair of sofa

Top Bottom