Spain - hints and tips for a road trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I'm taking my wife on a road trip through Spain to join up with the family in Benidorm for a while in September. Our route plan is roughly Bilbao - Pamplona - Zaragoza - Valencia - Benidorm - Madrid - Burgos - Santandar. My wife is disabled and confined to her power chair so the only cycling I'll be doing is the downhill Costa Blanca bike ride (again).

Has anyone been to any or all of these places? Any hints or tips, alternate suggestions? The wife likes animals and crafts so we're going to the Oceanografica in Valencia but are there other attractions?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I'm taking my wife on a road trip through Spain to join up with the family in Benidorm for a while in September. Our route plan is roughly Bilbao - Pamplona - Zaragoza - Valencia - Benidorm - Madrid - Burgos - Santandar. My wife is disabled and confined to her power chair so the only cycling I'll be doing is the downhill Costa Blanca bike ride (again).

Has anyone been to any or all of these places? Any hints or tips, alternate suggestions? The wife likes animals and crafts so we're going to the Oceanografica in Valencia but are there other attractions?
Go and see the central market in Valencia. Beautiful building, wonderful food to buy.

And the local trees are fairly cool...

https://images.app.goo.gl/DBG22LAYcLVzqVdo8

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Arrive in Benidorm and spend as little time there as possible. Take yourselves up to Altea, Alicante or Guadalest.

Oh absolutely! Guadalest isn't very wheelchair friendly though but we hope to take in the Romans & Carthaginians festival in Cartagena and possibly hit Murcia too.

slowwww

Veteran
My preference would be to avoid the East coast altogether and head due south after Madrid to see the delights of Andalucía. While a number of the smaller Andalucían hill top towns might be tricky for a wheel-chair, Cordoba, Seville, Granada, Jerez, Cadiz, Ronda are all beautiful and very accessible.

slowwww

Veteran
My preference would be to avoid the East coast altogether and head due south after Madrid to see the delights of Andalucía. While a number of the smaller Andalucían hill top towns might be tricky for a wheel-chair, Cordoba, Seville, Granada, Jerez, Cadiz, Ronda are all beautiful and very accessible.

Just noticed that Benidorm is a must to visit your family. D'oh!!

brodiej

Veteran
Oh absolutely! Guadalest isn't very wheelchair friendly though but we hope to take in the Romans & Carthaginians festival in Cartagena and possibly hit Murcia too.

I know Cartagena and Murcia well.

Personally I love Cartagena- especially during the Festival. I think it's much more accessible than it was. Some of the undergound car parks have lifts and are very central and it has a lovely port area.

Murcia city is nice with some nice churches but Cartagena is more varied and interesting

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I'll second @Markymark

Alicante is great

Fnaar

Smutmaster General

Not sure of 'attractions', but I know Pamplona, Zaragoza, Madrid and Santander well ... my advice would be simply to enjoy being out and about in any of those places in the evening ... late dinner outdoors ... people watching ... Spain is best when you just 'be there' ... outdoor caffs and restaurants will deffo be great for your wife in the power chair x

MarkF

Guru
Bilbao is a mix, the old streets with the bars & life are great, it can be a bit blah in the retail district but that was bombed badly. Good for a day.

Valencia is flat, Carmen &
Russafa are two nice areas to wander around & conveniently either side of the main tourist attractions. Turia park (The old river bed) runs right through the City, you can spend a day in there alone, easily, loads of attractions, wheelchair friendly.

Madrid, l'd go to Atocha station for the botanical gardens and then right next door is it's best park, Retiro. If you like culture/art, much is within 15 mins walk of this area.

Santander, I've been twice but as it was hosing down both times I've not seen much. Beautiful laid back city that l'd like to see again in sun.

Benidorm really is like Blackpool in the sun, l was there for a couple of hours last month. Alicante? Love it, cycle out from there every year but it is culturally lacking, theatre, cultural centre, castle, a couple of museums and that's it. But it had a heart & the market is better than Valencia's IMO, but the best areas, Carolinas Altas & Santa Cruz are definitely not wheelchair friendly.

If you get the chance to visit Oviedo and Santiago de Compostella? Fascinating places and would go back bike or no bike :smile:

Top Bottom