1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spandex down.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by mickle, 23 Nov 2007.

1. Riding home last night with Spandex, we rurn onto the main road to Bish and he hurtles off towards the horizon. Like a train. He really is fast, proper fast. As I'm watching him, now a good 500m away, his rear light suddenly turns white. And then I'm next to him, he's flat out on the road, legs tangled up in his bike and unconcious, bleeding from his eye socket but still breathing. I call 999 and as I'm speaking to them a guy driving a Fiesta pulls over on the other side of the road with his flashers on then pulls over to our side of the road to protect us from oncoming traffic.

Anyhoo, he comes to, sort of, and sits in the chaps car for half an hour till ambulance arrives and he was taken to A&E. He has broken his cheek bone in two places and a bone in his knee, I'm assuming his patela. He will be in hosp for the next few days having a couple of operations.

He was riding his Paddy Wagon fixer, clip-in pedals with trainers so not clipped in. Maybe his foot slipped off, maybe he clipped the verge. Gonna check his bike over now, see if I can establish what happened.

When he gets better I shall give him a slap. Silly bugger.

:blush::angry:!:smile::angry:!:smile::angry:!:smile::angry:!:smile::angry:!:smile::angry:!:angry::angry:!:angry::angry:!:angry::angry:!:angry::angry:!:angry::angry:!

2. Panter

Panter Just call me Chris...

Sounds horrendous :blush:

Best wishes to him, hope he makes a quick recovery.
    Good on the Fiesta driver too.

Cheers

Chris.

3. longers

longers Veteran

Crikey, a nasty one :smile:.

Give him a slap from me too, when he gets better :blush: On his good side of course.

4. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Poor chap.

All the best from here for a speedy recovery.

(Well, the quicker you deliver that slap, the quicker he'll learn... :blush: )

5. walker

walker New Member

if there was a way we could all chip in for a get well soon card.

Any one got any ideas?

6. walker

walker New Member

in fact mickle have you got an address if some of us want to just send him one?

7. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

let's hope he gets on the mend soon. btw spandex down made me expect a slightly fruitier thread… :blush:

8. poor spandex... wish him well and a speedy recovery.

hope you gave the car driver a nice thank you, that was a nice act, top person.

9. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

That's terrible news :blush:. I hope he makes a full recovery and gets back on his bike(s) soon.

10. girofan

girofan New Member

Sorry to hear the news.
    How nice of the car driver to give aid in a moment of distress. He gave his time, which is what a lot of people are unwilling to do!

11. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Aw, that's crap:sad:. Give him my love. And a slap, but a gentle girly one.

If people wanted to post get well messages here, Mickle could print them off and pass them on...

It's a horrible moment, seeing someone go down like that. You look after yourself as well Mickle, when the adrenaline wears off, it can hit you badly. I still have flashbacks to my Mum coming off, whenever I see a cattlegrid, and that was about 3 years ago and I still can't ride over one.

12. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Get well soon Spandex

wounded_soldier.jpg

Hope you didn't slip on ice? :blush:

13. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

WE could all chip together and give him one HUGE slap.

Get well soon!

14. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Bugger - let's hope he's back on two wheels ASAP !

15. graham56

graham56 Veteran

Get well soon Spandex, hope it doesn`t hurt to much.