Sparky advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
If your ceiling spotlights are a few years old & use drivers would they use more electricity than a new modern light set.
I don’t know if I should keep my 12 light set up or replace it?

CXRAndy

Guru
What are the wattage of the lamps? Are they LED or older Halogen bulbs? Quality LED down- light lamps are £ 20 per fitting trade price. Around 4-6 Watts per lamp

si_c

Guru
What are the wattage of the lamps? Are they LED or older Halogen bulbs? Quality LED down- light lamps are £ 20 per fitting trade price. Around 4-6 Watts per lamp

You can get decent downlights at screwfix or toolstation for about £7 per fitting, at around 6W per light.

D

Deleted member 26715

But it's a rabbit hole to go down, we have 12 in our kitchen/dining area 2 banks of 6. but as 6 of them are in the kitchen they have (or should) be at least IP44 (I think) or better still IP65 so the cheap ones are £7.48 from Screwfix, £90 in total, these are also round our existing ones are square, ceiling will then need decorating, that is assuming that the holes of the existing ones are 72mm like these. Then there's the hassle of fitting them & then the big one, how long is the ROI & is it worth it.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
But it's a rabbit hole to go down, we have 12 in our kitchen/dining area 2 banks of 6. but as 6 of them are in the kitchen they have (or should) be at least IP44 (I think) or better still IP65 so the cheap ones are £7.48 from Screwfix, £90 in total, these are also round our existing ones are square, ceiling will then need decorating, that is assuming that the holes of the existing ones are 72mm like these. Then there's the hassle of fitting them & then the big one, how long is the ROI & is it worth it.

I’ve one room still with 12v Halogen . It’s due a make over as it’s the bathroom , so holding off for now. It’s not like they are on all the time . Every other light however in my house is LED .

newts

Veteran
ROI is quite short as you'd be using approximately 1/10th of the elcetricity.
12 x 50w watt downlight is using alot of £ over a year at current prices.

D

Deleted member 26715

ROI is quite short as you'd be using approximately 1/10th of the elcetricity.
12 x 50w watt downlight is using alot of £ over a year at current prices.
12x 30w & each bank is on for less than an hour a day I would think, were they highly used I would agree

Top Bottom