Sparky advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Ah, the cheeky buggers buying MIL's house have said the CU isn't up to current specs - it won't be, as was put in over 20 years ago - hmm trying to get us to cough up for a new one.

We're in the process of selling my wife's aunts house, they moved in new in the 50's I'm expecting a few of those type of queries.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We're in the process of selling my wife's aunts house, they moved in new in the 50's I'm expecting a few of those type of queries.

We've had loads - asking for £15k off ! £1800 for a severe cracking in a ceiling (was old wallpaper with too much paint on it)

No earth strap on the gas meter either - asking for a new one - was up to regs on installation.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
You will probably need a bit more than 16A supplies for ovens. I guess you already knew that as you mentioned 10mm cables. It’s correct that you won’t need to replace the CU just because it is plastic. It’s new installs that need to be metal. You have two spare ways at 7 & 8, so you should be OK for the two additions. You already have a supply marked “cooker”. Does this mean you will have three ovens installed? Is this a dwelling or a cafe? Just curious.

Well it’s a micro & oven and the one already labelled will have an induction hob so I do have 2 spare breakers.
What you say is correct but if I sell the house there’s no fresh certification for 18 regs. But who’s to say we get it to 18 regs then 19 regs comes along. *rolls eyes*

Last edited:
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
2 double ovens would be an impressive installation and damn costly to run!

The range will be sold soon. It’s only a new single oven, microwave oven & induction hob been fitted so probably no difference in reality.
Going for the metal CB so there’s no selling issues down the line. Ridiculous regs though, so fire crews don’t breathe in plastic fumes when they have air masks on & plastics would be burning in a house anyway.

CXRAndy

Guru
Some ovens are rated at 13A, but it's best practice to install fixed hardwired connections.

You should be ok for EV even with 80A, vast majority of charging is overnight so very little else drawing large current. Anyhow it's only 32A the charger will draw.

Lozz360

Veteran
The range will be sold soon. It’s only a new single oven, microwave oven & induction hob been fitted so probably no difference in reality.
Going for the metal CB so there’s no selling issues down the line. Ridiculous regs though, so fire crews don’t breathe in plastic fumes when they have air masks on & plastics would be burning in a house anyway.
That’s not the reason. The change in the regs was due to a high number of electrical fires starting within the CU. Plastic being combustible encouraged the fire to spread. Therefore, new installations must have a non-combustible (such as steel) CU or a plastic CU fully enclosed in a non-combustible enclosure. These regs are not retrospective but other rules, such as Landlord’s requirements, mean that rented dwellings need to comply.

A good guide I found is here https://www.elec-inn.co.uk/the-number-1-question-on-eicrs-plastic-consumer-units/

Hicky

Guru
That’s not the reason. The change in the regs was due to a high number of electrical fires starting within the CU. Plastic being combustible encouraged the fire to spread. Therefore, new installations must have a non-combustible (such as steel) CU or a plastic CU fully enclosed in a non-combustible enclosure. These regs are not retrospective but other rules, such as Landlord’s requirements, mean that rented dwellings need to comply.

A good guide I found is here https://www.elec-inn.co.uk/the-number-1-question-on-eicrs-plastic-consumer-units/

Yep, I had to change the CU in my rental property for this reason(plastic to metal) on inspection.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I’m getting two new ovens in a new kitchen in a few weeks. Cables probably 10mm need to run a short distance through the roof from the main consumer unit board.
The worry is my consumer unit is made out of plastic and is about 17 years old. I’ve heard new regs mean you should have a metal box now?
Do I need a new box for the electrician to sign off my hob & oven?
Ok we had our kitchen replaced back in summer with two ovens and two warming drawers added ( posh as f… I know and costly if all running ) . Those are wired into the kitchen ring main on 16 amp switches sockets , the drawers are 13 amp plug sockets. Our induction hob was wired in the other side with the old oven cable extended. So zero work done at the CU box , however sparky did say it should be upgraded to provide better protection on all circuits .
D95D7CED-7432-42F9-B1E7-33B0D35C695F.jpeg

748E4768-0BF6-4335-ABC4-2E5E0DEB2B05.jpeg

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
also didn’t know plastic CU was a thing ? However according to the regs, no need to change. Unless a new installation .

Correct but if you’re selling up & after a dream home you don’t want to lose, your buyer could potentially spot the plastic box and ask for money knocked off or just delay you. I’ve seen minor defects & buyer be like knock me 10 k off? When you’re rushing to secure a new house they can get you by the balls.

CXRAndy

Guru
They can't force you to upgrade, unless it's a major upgrade to the wiring or problem with CU itself.

Metal CU don't cost the earth to buy. I would go with one with RCBO circuit breakers.

I had this done a few years ago to a plastic CU. Helped sell my house with new electrical building regulations cert to hand :biggrin:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Correct but if you’re selling up & after a dream home you don’t want to lose, your buyer could potentially spot the plastic box and ask for money knocked off or just delay you. I’ve seen minor defects & buyer be like knock me 10 k off? When you’re rushing to secure a new house they can get you by the balls.

Maybe down south but don’t think I’ve ever bothered to look at a CU in a house before. Mind you all my houses have been 80s onwards . Last house my Father swapped out the cartridge fused CU in for MCB type but RCBO is new standard I believe.

May get the main CU unit upgraded in this house at some point. Garage id planned to do myself

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Hi folks. I’ve got some more sparky chat.
I bought some switches ages ago that are overkill. Double pole. Probably can’t take them back now. I want to use them for bedroom light switches. I know they are meant for appliances with heavy loads but am I right in thinking they will be ok to use just for the ceiling lights? Here’s a picture.
Thanks.

Attachments

• D00D8ACF-B2CF-46D4-A267-C2A6BFDDC318.jpeg
    D00D8ACF-B2CF-46D4-A267-C2A6BFDDC318.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 3
D

Deleted member 26715

They will be fine, if they can switch 20A they can switch 3A

Top Bottom