SPD sandals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do they come with spd cleats
admittedly no, but they are sandals which you seem to be set against.
Have spent a fair bit of time in warmer parts and off the bike sandals are often by far the best thing to wear.
My italian sandals for your perusal/approval/condemnation.

I do have a pair of shimano sandals - need to get round to fitting the cleats.
I do know that some folk when touring use sandals with socks if touring when it gets a bit colder - thinking being that if it rains they can just change the socks - sandals and feet then miraculously dry and socks easy to wash.
Not a recommended look in off the bike life perhaps but then give it half a chance and fashion will be the death of enjoyable carefree cycling.

(edit - in case you think me a lost cause nerd, I do actually have a couple of pairs of gucci loafers I use for brothel creeping)

admittedly no, but they are sandals which you seem to be set against.

Yes, they're disgusting and are only ok to use - in the form of flip flops - to go to the pool and/or seaside and privately to move around your own home and garden in the summer months.

My mistake for bringing the word "fashion" in the discussion. What I meant was actually "class" :laugh:

Yes, they're disgusting and are only ok to use - in the form of flip flops - to go to the pool and/or seaside and privately to move around your own home and garden in the summer months.

My mistake for bringing the word "fashion" in the discussion. What I meant was actually "class" :laugh:
i suggest that once the barriers are down you don't travel abroad - may be upsetting.

I think he may have been made to wear sandals in the summer at school by his mum and was bullied by the cool kids and clearly never got over it.

Funny you say that. I still clearly remember that one time when my parents made me wear a pair of corduroy trousers when I was 3 or 4 for my pre-school Christmas party. Didn't like those trousers at all, was mad the whole evening and to this day I've never owned anything made of corduroy.

I remember having sandals as a kid and liking them so no negative memories about this I'm afraid.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I've been using SPD sandals since about 2010.
I prefer the older Shimano SD66 and Exustar SS501 versions to the current, though I've also got a pair of current SD5 that I use to reduce wear and tear on the older models.

No need to take extra evening footwear when touring.
No problems with fords or rainy weather - they, and your foot, just dry out quickly without leaving you riding is a soggy show for ages.
They aren't as cold as non-wearers seem to expect - these days, what with global warming, I wear them almost all of the winter (no socks)

simongt

Guru
Have had a pair of said Shimano SPD sandal for some years. Only drawback is that if you don't wear socks, you'll probably get sunburnt tootsies - !
Ouch - ! :laugh:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I prefer the older Shimano SD66 and Exustar SS501 versions to the current, though I've also got a pair of current SD5 that I use to reduce wear and tear on the older models.

No problems with fords or rainy weather - they, and your foot, just dry out quickly without leaving you riding is a soggy show for ages.
They aren't as cold as non-wearers seem to expect - these days, what with global warming, I wear them almost all of the winter (no socks)
Yes, my Shimano sandals are surprisingly warm.

Yep, and many cycling shoe have a lot of venting anyway, not warm.
Can i ask what the difference is between the two shimano versions?

My toes emerge blinking into the light each spring after their winter hibernation pale and pudgy and weak and fungal, like diseased maggots with bloat.
At the other end of the year, when the sad time comes to root around for socks to tuck them away again, SPD sandals and Tevas have restored them to lean, twiglet brown, sinewy and prehensile vigour. Look Ma, no hands!
So you can keep your fishing line dial-a-ratchet closure silliness (reckon they saw you coming) and I'll keep the rays and warm breeze on my toes.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Can i ask what the difference is between the two shimano versions?
The older version (SD66) is more substantial than the SD5, mostly in a considerably stiffer sole, but also in the upper.
The older Exustar (SS502) was a two-strap design that was more open around the foot than the SS503 (3-strap, with neoprene covering the top of the foot)

The older version (SD66) is more substantial than the SD5, mostly in a considerably stiffer sole, but also in the upper.
The older Exustar (SS502) was a two-strap design that was more open around the foot than the SS503 (3-strap, with neoprene covering the top of the foot)
Thanks, you consider the older shimano one superior to the newer one?

Top Bottom