SPD Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anyone recommend some good SPD shoes for road riding. I currently have Giro but a touch narrow and heavy. Would like something lighter. Rather go off people’s reviews on ownership than another internet trawl.
90% road riding but don’t want the exposed cleat
This is what I have at minute but no idea what model they are of Giro

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How much does one shoe weigh? I'll go and weigh one of mine for comparison.

PS My Shimano ME2 shoes weigh 473g per shoe, including the cleat. I find that a perfectly acceptable weight. My previous pair were Aldi specials which were very light, probably more like 300g a shoe, but they flexed and eventually fell to bits. I prefer the more substantial Shimanos. I have wide feet and went up 2 sizes to get a comfortable fit. I have a lot of wiggle room for my toes, but take up the slack with the velcro straps to prevent my feet sliding forwards. A lot of people would be ok with 1 size up from normal, or their normal size if they have narrow feet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tripster

How much does one shoe weigh? I'll go and weigh one of mine for comparison.

PS My Shimano ME2 shoes weigh 473g per shoe, including the cleat. I find that a perfectly acceptable weight. My previous pair were Aldi specials which were very light, probably more like 300g a shoe, but they flexed and eventually fell to bits. I prefer the more substantial Shimanos. I have wide feet and went up 2 sizes to get a comfortable fit. I have a lot of wiggle room for my toes, but take up the slack with the velcro straps to prevent my feet sliding forwards. A lot of people would be ok with 1 size up from normal, or their normal size if they have narrow feet.
Sorry, I didn’t mean I was after weight saving or shaving a few grammes, the shoes are acceptable but I know many others are not as heavy. My normal walking shoes are lighter in fact. I would just like some more road specific spd shoe which generally are lighter but weight is by no means an issue. Plus I have no scales 😁

si_c

Guru
I've got a couple of pairs of Northwaves, the Spike's are reasonably priced, comfortable and the sole is moderately stiff. The fit is a bit wide for me to be honest, but it cinches up well enough.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I've got a couple of pairs of Northwaves, the Spike's are reasonably priced, comfortable and the sole is moderately stiff. The fit is a bit wide for me to be honest, but it cinches up well enough.
i use northwave and the spike is wider which is great for winter , thicker socks :smile: for summer riding i use the scorpius which is narrower and well vented

si_c

Guru
i use northwave and the spike is wider which is great for winter , thicker socks :smile: for summer riding i use the scorpius which is narrower and well vented
That's good to know. I've got a pair of Magma's as well, which are really nice - again a bit wider than I might have opted for otherwise, but as a winter shoe, excellent.

Fram

I really like my Bontrager Solstice shoes for general road and touring. Don't use them in the winter though.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That's good to know. I've got a pair of Magma's as well, which are really nice - again a bit wider than I might have opted for otherwise, but as a winter shoe, excellent.
i find the mtb orientated shoes wider fit in northwave compared to the cx/road variant with mtb spd cleats

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Shimano do the RT5 which is a road shoe with recessed cleat and some tread. Trying to find something similar from other brands. The alternatives some reviews link to are old obsolete models no longer produced

MntnMan62

Über Member
I also use mountain bike shoes for both road and mountain bike riding. For many years now I've been using Specialized Sport Mountain shoes. At this point the grips on the bottom are all but gone and they might was well be road shoes. My wife has bought me a pair of new Specialized Recon 1.0 mountain bike shoes for Xmas. They are the replacement for the Sport Mountains. I like them. Very simple. The old ones had two velcro straps. The new ones have three. If you must have those newfangled tension knobs on shoes these days, just go up one notch to the Recon 2.0. Good shoes at a reasonable price.
Specialized Recon 1.0 clipless mountain bike shoe review | off-road.cc
Specialized Recon 1.0 Mountain Bike Shoes - Spokesman Bicycles

OP
OP
T

Tripster

That’s the word I’m looking for...clunky. I like SPD but find the MTB specific ones overkill with large treads for mud. I have a pair of Giro and although comfy I suspect been narrow on longer rides will become a problem. I have fat feet:ohmy: how incorrect of me ! I have large feet.

Top Bottom