SPD to SPD-SL Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Indeed, happened to me on a ride with @HLaB. One of the cleats had come a bit loose and, as we dived into a bus shelter to escape a monsoon-style downpour, I found I couldn't unclip. :ohmy: Took my shoe off and left it on the pedal and HLab came to the rescue - either by knowing what to do or by guessing, he managed to get things sorted. :heat:

I now check the screws more often - well I now check the screws ... ;) :laugh:

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
It's ok getting the new SL pedals fitted, but don't forget you may need new cleats to suit.

U

User33236

Never used SPD-SL myself (and moved away from SPD quite quickly) but use the Look Keo range instead.

Started off with Look Keo Classic but found they were quite variable in the angle they settled in when setting off. Now on Keo Max and find them so much better.

Similarly I found the insertion and release force on SPD way too variable and my commuter is now on Time Atak cleats (and compatible pedals).

I do notice the difference between the two, especially on longer rides, in regard to the force through the sole of the shoes.

Andywinds

I moved from SPDs to SPD-SL, best thing I did. I now no longer unclip whilst leaving the cleat in the pedal!
So which part failed? were the cleats lose before this happened. I've used SPD's on MTB for three years and gave them a battering over rocks and never had an issue. I must admit I would like to move to another pedal and shoe for the road bike now.

Indeed, happened to me on a ride with @HLaB. One of the cleats had come a bit loose and, as we dived into a bus shelter to escape a monsoon-style downpour, I found I couldn't unclip. :ohmy: Took my shoe off and left it on the pedal and HLab came to the rescue - either by knowing what to do or by guessing, he managed to get things sorted. :heat:

I now check the screws more often - well I now check the screws ... ;) :laugh:

Get some of these.

image.jpeg

They have a little 'M' stamped on the hooks. It means they are 'multi release' and that if a screw fails, and your foot moves without unclipping, when twisting out, you can get out with a sharp upward pull:thumbsup:

cd365

Guru
So which part failed? were the cleats lose before this happened. I've used SPD's on MTB for three years and gave them a battering over rocks and never had an issue. I must admit I would like to move to another pedal and shoe for the road bike now.
I pulled the bolts straight out of the metal plate in the shoe, sheared straight out. The cleats were not loose, I had used locknot glue stuff to keep it from working loose.

Andywinds

I pulled the bolts straight out of the metal plate in the shoe, sheared straight out. The cleats were not loose, I had used locknot glue stuff to keep it from working loose.
Too much power :okay:

Andywinds

I used the new shoes with SPD-SL this week and the main bit I noticed was they feel more secure in the pedal. Also using the weakest adjustment they hold the shoe in firmer, so removing my foot is harder. With my MTB SPD setup I kept pulling my foot out under hard acceleration. The only drawback I can see is with walking, MTB SPD's are great for walking around in, the SL's not so great, so I have order cleat covers.

Last edited:

Freds Dad

Veteran
I've fitted some SPD SL pedals and cleats today after using SPD's.

Practice ride round the garden and all seems okay. Cue falling over at first junction tomorrow.

chr15b

Über Member
I actually started off with SPD-SL and when changing shoes also changed to SPD. Love the recessed cleat, I didn't have issues clipping in but find the SPD a lot quicker and can't see I've noticed any difference in operation.

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

I like my spd sls on new bike work well.

I used the new shoes with SPD-SL this week and the main bit I noticed was they feel more secure in the pedal. Also using the weakest adjustment they hold the shoe in firmer, so removing my foot is harder. With my MTB SPD setup I kept pulling my foot out under hard acceleration. The only drawback I can see is with walking, MTB SPD's are great for walking around in, the SL's not so great, so I have order cleat covers.

Top Bottom