SPD to SPD-SL Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris Swift

Hey Guys,

Currently using SPD pedals, my Shimano shoes will take SPD-SL as well, as I'm getting a new bike soon (Giant Defy 1 Disc) I am considering moving to SPD-SL pedals, how different are they? Should I be ok collecting bike and cycling home with the SPD-SL setup?

As always help is appreciated.
Chris

martint235

Dog on a bike
Be sure that your shoes will take both (some do, a lot don't). SL is a 3 bolt system as opposed to SPD 2 bolt. Other than that if you're used to clipping in and out, it shouldn't cause you too many issues. SL pedals tend to be one sided but the spring weight at the back tends to ensure they are in the right place for clipping in.

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Be sure that your shoes will take both (some do, a lot don't). SL is a 3 bolt system as opposed to SPD 2 bolt. Other than that if you're used to clipping in and out, it shouldn't cause you too many issues. SL pedals tend to be one sided but the spring weight at the back tends to ensure they are in the right place for clipping in.

Excellent, Thanks for quick reply.... my shoes are these : I believe they take both types:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-r064-road-cycling-shoes/

Ajax Bay

Guru
Should I be ok collecting bike and cycling home with the SPD-SL setup?
I'm making the assumption that you've considered whether you want to use SPD SLs as opposed to staying with SPDs. Do not need to rehearse the issues again on this thread (as @vickster has implied).
I'd take your SPD pedals (ie off current ride) along and keep your SPD cleats on the 064s, get the shop to pop your old pedals on (or take your own spanner/allen key and DIY) and ride home. If SPD SLs come as part of the bike (ie as a package) bring those home (with the cleats that should come with them). Then fit those pedals and swap the cleats in the comfort and reversability of your own domain. Then ride and enjoy.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You won't notice a massive difference. I use Keo's on the road bikes and SPD's on the mountain bike. If you want a standard throughout all bike types then SPD will do the job. The idea with SPD-SL or KEO type pedals is that they offer a larger platform which should be more stable as the cleat and pedal interface is much bigger. You can also buy cleats with differing degrees of float from 0% up. For day to day riding the benefits at best are marginal so many stick with SPD across all their bikes.

I swapped over..... I prefer the look of the SPD-SL over SPD but they are not as practical, as SPD cleats are bullet proof whereas SL cleats can be easily damaged if you are walking around on them.... Okay for my commute but not so much for nipping into town or the shops etc..... don't think I ever replaced My SPD cleats in over two years but on SL's used about 3 sets in the same time.....

Clicking in and out is slightly more difficult but not enough to bother about...

Saying that don't think I'll go back SPD's as (snob factor) the bike looks better with SL's

image.jpeg

Get some of these cleat covers.

image.jpeg

They cost less than a tenner, and mean that you can walk around without damaging your cleats, and looking like Bambi on Rollerskates.

Top Bottom