Specialized Allez - 56cm OK for 6ft?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

I know that bikes and riders vary but, I am asking more in a generic sense as a Specialized Allez has been advertised with a decent spec and the price is very reasonable (not stolen, comes with original receipt).

Anyway, its a 56cm Specialized Allez, I am 6ft, shorter torso, longer arms/legs. Do fellow members know if the 56cm would work (willing to do some adjustment with the stem thing and seat post if needed) for a 6ft rider?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Always best to try before you buy but if I were 6ft and had seen a bargain Allez online I would hope it would be a 56cm frame, go for it.
What model and year is it?

Reactions: DSK
Should be ok. I had a 58 Allez and 6ft 3ins, it was maybe a fraction too small but ok. Good bikes but quite a stiff frame and a bit tiring on longer rides, now the carbon Roubaix and Diverge are a different story (but big bucks!)

vickster

Legendary Member
Go try it. A legitimate seller won't have an issue with you sitting on it /riding it around the block

Last edited:
OP
OP
DSK

DSK

I have reached out to a couple of local sellers and offered a fair price for their used 58cm's but had no reply and after 3 months the bikes are still for sale at the same price (top end price but bikes need TLC). The 56cm is 2.5 hours away, looks clean and cared for with original receipt and one for a recent service. As the seller is asking is a perfectly reasonable amount, I'd not bother haggling so need to try and make the trip worth it as its a bit far to go for just having a look.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I'm 5'10" and not very flexible. Probably I should have a 54cm, but I persist with a 56cm Allez because it was a freebie - too good to turn down!
Should be fine if 6', but every bike feels different; definitely try it first, if possible.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have reached out to a couple of local sellers and offered a fair price for their used 58cm's but had no reply and after 3 months the bikes are still for sale at the same price (top end price but bikes need TLC). The 56cm is 2.5 hours away, looks clean and cared for with original receipt and one for a recent service. As the seller is asking is a perfectly reasonable amount, I'd not bother haggling so need to try and make the trip worth it as its a bit far to go for just having a look.
Can’t you go to Evans and try one out on one of their no obligation test ride (assuming the geometry isn’t now fundamentally different to the model year you’re looking at). It’s a common bike in shops

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'll have to go and check my frame size. I'm 6ft but with short (32" inside) legs. My understanding is that with a smaller torso, a smaller frame should be OK, as you can extend the seat easily, but not the top tube. Probably wrong, but there you go.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes a Specialized in 56 is exactly the correct size for a 6' rider. The fine adjustments are far less important than the need for the right sized frame.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am 6' 1" tall. I have ridden 56 cm bikes but they feel a bit small to me. I usually ride 58 cm and even then I fit a longer stem and push the saddle back. I have ridden a 60 cm bike with a slightly shorter stem and the saddle further forward.

The thing is, my legs are only average length (32" inseam); my extra height comes from a long torso, so that is why I prefer a longer top tube.

Which is a long-winded way of saying (1) Bike fit is personal & (2) As long as the bike is about the right size, it can be made to fit.

Top Bottom