Specialized Allez - 56cm OK for 6ft?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kajjal

Guru
It depends on your preferred riding position and your bodies dimensions/ flexibility. I am 2m tall and ride a 61cm specialized as I am between sizes and it is easy enough to make a slightly smaller bike fit, but almost impossible to make a bike that is too large fit.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ha ha, that's the exact opposite of what Craig at Ride On told me when I bought my Italian bike, which was available only in 55 and 57. I told him I fancied a smaller frame and he replied that bigger is better as you can scale down more easily.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ha ha, that's the exact opposite of what Craig at Ride On told me when I bought my Italian bike, which was available only in 55 and 57. I told him I fancied a smaller frame and he replied that bigger is better as you can scale down more easily.
What by chopping a bit out of the top and seat tubes :whistle:

bigjim

Legendary Member
i'm 6'2" and had a 56 Allez but got rid because it was too small. On Mallorca hols when I rent a bike I always specify a 58 or 60cm. I'm long legged though.

Stephenite

Membå
To add to the fray - I'm 6'2 with 32" legs and, usually, find 58cm road bike a bit too big and 56cm a bit too small :tongue:.

It all depends on the geometry of the bike. I haven't owned a Spesh but have ridden one or two. So, i suppose, a 56cm Allez might very well suit a 6'0 (might very well be a sporty fit mind).

Consensus seems to be:
Go for it!

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

So I nipped into a Evans Wimbledon, sat on a new Specialized 56cm explaining the situation.

The assistant (this particular one) was not helpful and just half arsed said it looks OK but didn't say anything further, such as what I should feel or where my limbs should be etc. Bike Felt pretty much like my TREK (again just back into cycling, saw a genuine well spec'd TREK locally for sale in 56cm and just bought it blind).

I contacted the seller, wired him a deposit and will arrange to collect either way.

Many thanks for the comments but, I will get around to having a bike fit done after winter.

So I nipped into a Evans Wimbledon, sat on a new Specialized 56cm explaining the situation.

The assistant (this particular one) was not helpful and just half arsed said it looks OK but didn't say anything further, such as what I should feel or where my limbs should be etc. Bike Felt pretty much like my TREK (again just back into cycling, saw a genuine well spec'd TREK locally for sale in 56cm and just bought it blind).

I contacted the seller, wired him a deposit and will arrange to collect either way.

Many thanks for the comments but, I will get around to having a bike fit done after winter.

Just as an aside as I am all legs and no arms I did have to shorten the stem on mine to get the correct position.

Many thanks for the comments but, I will get around to having a bike fit done after wi

To be honest

To be honest DSK if you came into my business and said "I want a load of free information from you but I am going to purchase elsewhere" I wouldn't be interested either.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I am 6' 1" tall. I have ridden 56 cm bikes but they feel a bit small to me. I usually ride 58 cm and even then I fit a longer stem and push the saddle back. I have ridden a 60 cm bike with a slightly shorter stem and the saddle further forward.

The thing is, my legs are only average length (32" inseam); my extra height comes from a long torso, so that is why I prefer a longer top tube.

Which is a long-winded way of saying (1) Bike fit is personal & (2) As long as the bike is about the right size, it can be made to fit.

Do you find that your shirts are constantly become untucked at the back, or is that because I am a bit of a wriggle-bottom?

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

To be honest

To be honest DSK if you came into my business and said "I want a load of free information from you but I am going to purchase elsewhere" I wouldn't be interested either.

I have been in that store buying other cycling accessories, consumables and clothing over the past 2 weeks and received decent advice and help from different staff members.

Top Bottom