Specialized Allez Triple '06 - Any thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all

Have spotted an Allez Triple 2006 and was wondering how good a bike it is? Has it been superceded a lot by the following models, or will it hold it's own? It does look to be in excellent condition, though isn't exactly a bargain. I'm seriously thinking of taking the plunge....... ;)

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
go on you know you wanna

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Nice looking bike, my immediate concerns would be:-

has it ever crashed
how worn are the individual parts - I wouldn't know enough to be able to spot everything
if anything does need replacing are parts still sourceable, especially around gearing/shifting, I don't see much in the way of 8 speed stuff now
how many miles has it done - could be an indicator of how much you may need to spend in short term

Having built a bike up from frame only I know that the parts are pretty pricey

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Hi

Like I said in the OP, it's not exactly a bargain. Trouble is bikes just seem to go for mental prices on Ebay. I've watched quite a few bikes exceed their "Buy it now" price, and then kicked myself. I guess you are right, though. I'll probably sit this one out. Think I'm gonna go out the back now and kick the hybrid ;)

All the best, Andy

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
MacBludgeon said:
Nice looking bike, my immediate concerns would be:-

has it ever crashed
how worn are the individual parts - I wouldn't know enough to be able to spot everything
if anything does need replacing are parts still sourceable, especially around gearing/shifting, I don't see much in the way of 8 speed stuff now
how many miles has it done - could be an indicator of how much you may need to spend in short term

Having built a bike up from frame only I know that the parts are pretty pricey

Hi MB

In my naivety I hadn't even considered obsolesence. A very valid point though. I guess I'll have to play the waiting game for a little longer.........

maurice

I have an allez triple 07, it's a good bike!

For 08' Sora turned into 9 speed, so that might be an issue for future upgrades, pre-08 having 8 speed. Saying that I've put over 3000 miles on mine and only replaced chain, cassette and tyres, nice reliable bike. Put a rack on and rode it too Nice too, which it managed fine.

However, I paid £420 new for mine in an end of season sale, so your ebay one looks well over the odds.

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Hi Maurice

Yep. I'm now inclined to agree, and have consigned this particluar bike to the "leave well alone" category. Have managed to source a Carrera Virtuoso for a decent price which will act as a "tide-me-over", 'til my funds are in place for a Specialized.

All the best, Andy :blush:

Top Bottom