specialized sirrus v giant fcr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickMiller

I have had a good look at hybrid bikes via websites and bike shops. I had been advised of getting the Specialized Sirrus Elite (£499) but recently read an article ina magazine which rated the Giant FCR 2.0 (£495) really well.

Both have got similar specs - the main differences being:

Pure carbon forks on the Giant
Tektro leavers on the Giant brakes (what are these?)

I would appreciate a bit of advice on which of these is a better buy (based on brand reputations, spec etc) and if you know any similar spec or priced bikes you would buy as an alternative?

Thanks

Nick

bonj2

prob'ly not much in it. Can you ride them both? just get the one you like the look of (and/or feel of) best.

Slim

Über Member
From my discussion in the LBS....

"The FCR is a bit more geared towards the road-bike-with-flat-bars end of the hybrid spectrum."

"The Sirrus is a bit more robust and would suit the, Ahem!, heavier rider like you".

I bought the Sirrus (Comp model FWIW) and have been more than happy with it. As much as I liked the FCR, the Sirrus just felt about right.

I test rode both bikes and there isn't much in them at all. The Sirrus Elite was slightly more comfortable but the FCR 2 felt a little quicker. In the end, I went for the Sirrus Elite as it just happened to come up in the sales and was £70 cheaper.

I also tried a couple of Marins (Fairfax & Sausalito) which are similarly spec'ed but just didn't like the feel of either. The old advice of trying before you buy really is a must.

I've just put 23c Schwalbe Stelvio Plus tyres on and it feels even better, much quicker without any loss of comfort.

Maz

Guru
I have the Sirrus Elite too. Unless they've changed the spec for this year's model, mine came with front carbon fork and carbon seatpost. It's a nippy lightweight bike. Great for commuting and can take mudguards if you want them. I too have changed the 28mm tyres down to 23mm.

Spicy

Hi, I bought the Sirrus Elite in Feb for 20 mile comute (round trip). Fitted bar ends and mud guards. It's fast, robust reliable and comfy!

If you think it's fast now... wait til you get some 23c tyres on it, then you'll be flying!

I was a bit worried about compromising on comfort at first but the Stelvio Plus' are excellent... can't recommend them enough!

Top Bottom