Spectacular rim split

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DWiggy

Über Member
Yes, badly concave describes my rim on the side that failed. It had done around 10-12000 miles but that still doesn't seem much.
Mine had only done 4700k...must have been made from cheese

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It varies from person to person. Some brake more than others. Some keep the pads and rims cleaner than others.

Brake pad material is another variable.
Doing lots of descending on wet, gritted roads is the worst of the lot. I hate the sound of my blocks and rims wearing away but I don't have a choice about braking round here. If I didn't brake on this kind of descent, I would faceplant on a dry stone wall!

steep-shore-road-climb-wide.jpg

Disk brakes for me on future bikes!

Crankarm

Guru
I have several sets of Mavic Open Pro rims but the CD ones. Never had one fail yet although one rim is a bit concave on the braking surface. Perhaps I shall gracefully retire it. I also use Mavic A719 rims.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
On fixed, with his feet off the pedals!!!!! :eek:

PS I have no idea how one would get the feet safely back on the pedals without stopping first?
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
On fixed, with his feet off the pedals!!!!! :eek:
PS I have no idea how one would get the feet safely back on the pedals without stopping first?
As I remember it, the technique was one foot at a time, lowering the foot from above until the pedal taps the sole of the shoe, give it a couple of taps to get the timing, start pedalling, and wriggle the cleat into the clip.
If both feet were unclipped (fords), I used to be able to clip back in up to about 80 rpm, if it was only one foot (worn cleats), I could manage up to about 110-115 rpm.

On worn rims, brake block material seems to make a lot of difference because some pick up bits of embedded grit a lot more easily than others, and it's the grit that destroys the rims rather than the brake pads themselves.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
This happened to me out on a ride today
View attachment 74410
The horizontal strip across the middle of the picture is the edge of the rim. It sliced an 8-inch gash through the inner tube
View attachment 74411

I had a few minutes warning that something was up, as the back wheel developed a knocking sound, which I traced to a slight bulge on the lip of the rim, and there was an earlier clue if only I'd recognised it, as my braking began to catch on one side.

Luckily all was OK in the end, and the kindly Mrs rjh was on hand to come out and pick me and bike up.

I have a spare rim and am now weighing up the benefits of fitting it myself vs. a new wheel.
Very many thanks for this - now ancient - post, @robjh because I have Open Pro on the rear of my Thorn audax and the wear indicator has disappeared - it was pretty thin before Friday's york-Hull ride but afterwards it's now disappeared. I was wondering whether to buy a rim and transfer the spokes over then pay someone at the LBS to do the final adjustments but opted to phone Thorn and order an identical replacement. My thinking that a new rim, an hour or two of faff then paying the LBS wouldn't come to a lot less than the £90 Thorn wanted for a replacement brand new. The last one was on the bike when i bought it about 10 years ago.

Top Bottom