Speed difference between hybrid and road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Depends what you mean by "hybrid"
If you just mean flat bars vs drop bars, with everything else being equal, then it depends on the position of the bars.
Drops are usually set lower than flats, so are more aerodynamic, but you can set drop bars high (see any CTC outing) and you can set flats low (messenger style). 90% of aerodynamic drag is due to the rider, so whichever bar reduces frontal area most will be quickest. The flat section of tri aerobar is both flat and low.

Rolling resistance is mostly due to tyre choice, and most hybrid users choose tougher tyres with higher RR. With identical tyres, there is no difference.
Once you add heavyweight tyres and wheels, suspension forks, mudguards, racks and pannier and raise the bars, then you start to drop MPH at any watts.

RR is constant at all speeds (ref?) but aerodynamic drag is proportional to velocity squared. Double your speed and quadruple your AD.

Reactions: PBB

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
A lighter bike that puts you in a more aero position will be a bit faster - by how much depends on a bunch of different variables. Go and test ride a couple - what have you got to lose?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I'm 3rd out of 1556 on one Strava segment around here.
I did it on my Giant Escape City - mudguards, rack and panniers - on my way home from work last year. I think that says a lot about something, but I'm not exactly sure what.:laugh:
I keep meaning to blitz it on my Focus, but can't be arsed.

JMAG

Über Member
I did it on my Giant Escape City - mudguards, rack and panniers - on my way home from work last year. I think that says a lot about something, but I'm not exactly sure what.:laugh:

Maybe your GPS was playing up? :tongue:

I'm always in the lower end of most segments, but I smashed all my PB's when I moved from a Trek 7.2 FX to a Specialized Allez apart from one downhill section, but that was because I was stuck on the smaller front chainrings on the first run. 2nd run got all PB's again.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Up or downhill?
Downhill the extra weight is an advantage especially if you tuck down enough .

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Maybe your GPS was playing up? :tongue:

I'm always in the lower end of most segments, but I smashed all my PB's when I moved from a Trek 7.2 FX to a Specialized Allez apart from one downhill section, but that was because I was stuck on the smaller front chainrings on the first run. 2nd run got all PB's again.
GPS is fine. I'm usually in the top quarter on most segments and have been known to take the odd KoM at times.;)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Up or downhill?
Downhill the extra weight is an advantage especially if you tuck down enough .
Ah but is it?

The extra gravitational force supplied by the additional weight is counterbalanced by the additional inertia due to the extra weight.

Or perhaps it isn't. I could well be wrong. Hang on while I go and throw two bikes off the Tower of Pisa.

Reactions: mjr

cyberknight

Ah but is it?

The extra gravitational force supplied by the additional weight is counterbalanced by the additional inertia due to the extra weight.

Or perhaps it isn't. I could well be wrong. Hang on while I go and throw two bikes off the Tower of Pisa.
All i know is on my rigid MTb i can go down steep hills quicker and heavier guys on a club run go faster freewheeling down hills .

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I wonder why that is - assuming that two bikes have equal rolling and air resistance, but one is heavier. They'll both get the same acceleration due to gravity.

Not doubting it. And not claiming any special physics knowledge. Just musing aloud.

The heavier one will be harder to stop when you hit the T junction at the bottom of the hill, that's for sure.

cyberknight

I wonder why that is - assuming that two bikes have equal rolling and air resistance, but one is heavier. They'll both get the same acceleration due to gravity.

Not doubting it. And not claiming any special physics knowledge. Just musing aloud.

The heavier one will be harder to stop when you hit the T junction at the bottom of the hill, that's for sure.
The heavier one will reach optimum velocity sooner at a guess.

Top Bottom