Speed difference between hybrid and road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've been faster down hills on a clunking hybrid than I have on a road bike. I bottle out sooner with thin tyres and narrow bars. Besides, the rumble of big wheels blocks out the noise from the dreadful, pock-marked tarmac and reduces the terror.

I am whippet fast on the flat and on the hills, of course.........:cry:

Keith Oates

Janner
The way some people ride, you'd think they were going to get paid more for getting to work a couple of mins earlier.

I don't think it's trying to get to work early as such, but a lot of people use the commute as part of their training schedule. At least that's what I do and I don't think I'd be alone in that category.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bladesman73

Über Member
Ive cycled to work on various hybrids for years. It wasnt until i bought a road bike that i knew what real speed was.no competition imo.

Mike!

Guru
Some of my Strava records are still held from 4 years ago when I commuted on a Specialized Sirrus but in general I am faster on my road bike with drops especially into the wind! (which is 99% of my rides at the moment it seems)

tommaguzzi

Über Member
In my experence it mainly depends on who is riding . (same for any bike really)

ChrisEyles

Guru
Not quite a hybrid, but on my touring/commuting bike with carrying panniers and a few extra kgs I am maybe 1 mph slower than on my ten speed racer. Geometry plays a role here though, the BB is quite far forward on my commuter (or the saddle quite far back, depending on how you look at it!), meaning the back of the legs work harder compared to the slightly-forward-of KOPS position on the road bike. My friend calls my touring bike a hybrid, not sure if he is trying to wind me up ;)

"Hybrids" cover such a multitude of sins that it's hard to say if riding one makes any difference. Weight, geometry, tyres, and commuting paraphanelia (locks, panniers etc) certainly will make some difference, but as others have pointed out, not as much as changing the rider!

OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
Thanks for all the replies folks - I think my bike is relatively heavy - D-Lock doesn't help and the position isn't exactly aggressive, so I think that's where I might gain a bit of time, however small.

Top Bottom