'Speeding' on a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

Alan H said:
Yes, but it's applicable to all riders and to all traffic. Bit vague.

You've just discovered the problem with the HC. It is often poor/confusing in its advice and it's supposed to be giving advice on best practise!

LLB

wafflycat said:
No. When cycling, you should be done for breaking the law relating to *cycling*. Cycling is waaay different to motoring - not least because being in charge of a tonne or more of metal is inherently more *potentially* dangerous than even overweight me riding a velo. By all means, if breaking the law relating to cycling, when cycling - be done for that offence. When motoring, the law relating to motoring applies.

As shown earlier in this thread, the potential is still there for fatalities caused by cycling into someone at speed.

I see people banging on about the rights of cyclists all the time, but I feel that if we want to level the playing field, then we need to be seen to be playing by the same rules.

How do you honestly regard yourself when on your bike, a road user, a pedestrian (pavement cyclist) or somewhere in between ?

wafflycat

Of course there's potential for cyclists to kill a.n.other. The potential is way, way higher for motorists and this is reflected in law. This is right & proper. When using some equipment that has a high potential to kill and maim, e.g., a motor vehicle, it is only right that the law reflects this. Go and find out how many road deaths are caused by motorists, how many by cyclists, how many by peds.. The real danger on the roads is not pedestrians, it's not cyclists, it's motorists (and yes, that includes me when I'm driving) and it's right that there's far more restrictions on the most dangerous.

U

User482

What wafflycat said. There are over 3,000 deaths on our roads each year, of which 1 or 2 will be caused by a collision with a cyclist. 1 or 2 too many for sure, but some perspective is required. In any case, if a cyclist has been irresponsible, there are laws in place to deal with them.

LLB

I saw in the paper (Express) today that 188 deaths were attributed to police chases in the UK last year.

The point missed were that many of the car deaths were 'own goals', and many were motorcycles also.

We can dissect it down to the nth degree, but unless you take cyclists out of the loop, you cannot remove the risks posed to others from the frame.

I have the same opinion for Horse riders. If your transport of choice belongs on the road, then you need to be considered by others, as they need to consider you with all the implications to go with it.

U

User482

linfordlunchbox said:
I saw in the paper (Express) today that 188 deaths were attributed to police chases in the UK last year.

The point missed were that many of the car deaths were 'own goals', and many were motorcycles also.

We can dissect it down to the nth degree, but unless you take cyclists out of the loop, you cannot remove the risks posed to others from the frame.

I have the same opinion for Horse riders. If your transport of choice belongs on the road, then you need to be considered by others, as they need to consider you with all the implications to go with it.

I don't really understand your point. Cyclists pose a very low risk to other road users, and if they act recklessly, they can be punished under exisitng law.

What's the problem with that?

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
User482 said:
What wafflycat said. There are over 3,000 deaths on our roads each year, of which 1 or 2 will be caused by a collision with a cyclist. 1 or 2 too many for sure, but some perspective is required. In any case, if a cyclist has been irresponsible, there are laws in place to deal with them.

I think what I saw was that:
the one linked to was one of 2 deaths in the last 'X' No of years and this was caused by someone with severe learning difficulties?

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
wafflycat said:
You've just discovered the problem with the HC. It is often poor/confusing in its advice and it's supposed to be giving advice on best practise!

Yep, I for one am learning that.

As per the reference in post #8

The Road Traffic Act 1988 says: "A failure on the part of a person to observe any provision of The Highway Code shall not of itself render that person to criminal proceedings of any kind"

byegad

Legendary Member
Alan H said:
Yes, but it's applicable to all riders and to all traffic. Bit vague.

The HC can be used to prove almost anything. My local Head of Traffic Police chap 'proved' you don't need to signal on a roundabout to his complete satisfaction when I challenged him on the subject.
However the difference between Vehicles and Carriages is enshrined on law and so can only be changed in a High Court.
I would be VERY worried if cycles were to be redefined and the resulting weight increase needed to 'upgrade' a cycle to meet vehicle standards would in itself mean an end to cycling.

bonj2

gambatte said:
I think what I saw was that:
the one linked to was one of 2 deaths in the last 'X' No of years and this was caused by someone with severe learning difficulties?

there's probably another thread about him but if that guy has "learning difficulties" then he should be given "help" in learning how NOT to kill people by riding recklessly - that "help" should equal prison imho

Mr Celine

Discordian
Alan H said:
Highway Code rule 103, applicable to all drivers and riders states: "You MUST NOT exceed the maximum speed limits for the road and for your vehicle (see the table on page 26)".

The table on p. 26 does not mention bikes but does say, "the 30mph limit applies to all traffic on all roads in England and Wales (and Class C and unclassified roads in Scotland) with street lighting unless signs show otherwise".

My underlining
The actual law is the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 from section 81 onwards.
It shall not be lawful for a person to drive a motor vehicle on a restricted road at a speed exceeding 30 miles per hour.

Note the presence of the word 'motor', which you will also find in any of the other sections of that act referring to speed limits.
A restricted road is one with lighting as defined in s82.

Top Bottom