'Speeding' on a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

domtyler said:
It is theoretically possible for someone on foot to break the speed limit, does your mate think speeding peds should be ticketed? Seriously, he needs to be twatted.

Exactly. Sign up at road junction, denoting a 'no entry' sign: the usual sort... that applies to vehicles..

No-entry-road-sign.gif

Does he think peds should be stopped from walking down the street? After all, the HC covers peds too.

U

User169

Saddle bum said:
So how come the Traffic Fuhrers in Richmond Park can fine a rider for exceeding 20mph?

I think it's covered by separate regulations (the Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces Regulations 1997)

[Edit: Sorry - already answered by Wafflycat above]

byegad

Legendary Member
There is no requirement to fit a speedometer to a pedal powered vehicle. Even if you have a computer with a speed readout it is self calibrated, you put in the diameter of your wheel.
My memory may be faulty but I seem to remember an answer in Cycle from the CTC's legal team which confirmed you cannot be ticketed for simply exceeding a speed limit. However you can be ticketed for 'cycling furiously', or something similar, a driving licence holder could also have points appllied.
Personally I feel that the only time the Police are going to be bothered is if you have been involved in a collision, or they have reason to believe you are a danger to others. Given Police reluctance, at street level, to get involved in anything contentious I doubt you need worry about a couple of miles an hour over a 30mph limit. Lets face it in most collisions we would be the loser anyway.

U

User169

wafflycat said:
Exactly. Sign up at road junction, denoting a 'no entry' sign: the usual sort... that applies to vehicles..

No-entry-road-sign.gif

Does he think peds should be stopped from walking down the street? After all, the HC covers peds too.

The Dutch have the right attitude to no entry signs

andygates

"if you're safe, careful and considerate, there's nothing to stop you zonking
along at 45 in a 30 limit."

...which would make you a cock. That's the Safespeed argument. And it ignores the wishes of the people who your zonking past. Speed limits are not just there to annoy Clarkson, they're also there to improve the quality of life of the people you're riding past, so don't hoon like a pillock, please.

As for cycling points on a driving licence, thats daft. May as well put them on my dog licence. Or fishing licence. What about fishing points on my beekeeping licence? Anyway, even if it did make sense, what about people without a driving licence?

Maz

Guru
wafflycat said:
Why should a *cycling* offence carry points on a *driving* licence? Should being done for shoplifting result in points on your driving licence? Same logic.
For shoplifting you should get points added to your Nectar card.

longers

Legendary Member
Saddlebum, Not having been there myself -how do they know what speed you are doing?

bonj2

wafflycat said:
Why should a *cycling* offence carry points on a *driving* licence? Should being done for shoplifting result in points on your driving licence? Same logic.

It shouldn't. But it apparently does. An example being cycling when drunk, I think. (Unless anyone knows different.)

In response to the original question, I think exceeding the speed limit on a bike is technically against the highway code, but there's no specific offence for it and therefore you can't actually be prosecuted for that alone, it would have to be 'dangerous cycling', and thus obviously shown to be dangerous.

wafflycat

Saddle bum said:
I appreciate that, but how are you supposed to know what speed you are going?

This is something I have questioned elsewhere. Still doesn't stop the royal parks from doing their own thing, though. Daft, isn't it.

gavintc

Guru
bonj said:
It shouldn't. But it apparently does. An example being cycling when drunk, I think. (Unless anyone knows different.)

I concur. About 20 yrs ago I was stopped by plod. I was cycling slowly with a group of friends who were walking back from a function down a country lane. Policeman informed me, that unless I got off the bike and pushed it, he would breathalyse me. I have subsequently checked with a police friend and apparently, I could be charged and lose my licence. It was a bit of surprise as until then I had used the bike as my alcohol wheels for visiting the pub.

byegad

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:

Oh! How I agree!
Unfortunately I don't make the rules and it is the case.

Top Bottom