Speeding...

CoG...

• ...should adorn a black mask and start burning every speed camera in the UK

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • ...should have been cycling in the first place

• ...should object as "just" 9mph over the limit is not scientifically reliable

• ...is a whinger, rightly caught and should just pay the f****r

• ...should blame the thought of being in Dudley as the reason for driving fast to escape

• ...should claim temporary blackout

• ...should do a runner and escape to Brazil like Ronnie

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
If you were caught doing 39, you probably thought you were going faster due to the inaccurances of car speedometers, they tend show a speed 10% higher but the inaccuracy increases at higher speeds. I am sure I watched this in some programme with someone complaining about EU legislation that means odometers have to be accurate but the speedometers do not.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
snapper_37 said:
Noses in.......

Yup another thread full of holier than thoes.

Give the OP a break - it's obviously it wasn't intended as a piss take of the seriousness of what he's done, more of a piss take that he's been a right muppet.

Some people really need to get off their high horses in here.

CoG - you should be fined, whipped, rolled in honey and fed to bees. That's just for being anywhere near Sedgley.

Snapper you know I hate the holier than thou brigade as much as anyone, And I think CoG being back after the fastest flounce/return in history is great, but there is certain things you don't joke about, speeding is one.

Anyone that has witnessed what damage reckless driving has done to people would agree, there are a few on here that have been victims of such things, 39 in a fourty in NOT a joking matter, CoG should be ashamed and just thankful that he didnt hurt anyone.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Speedometer Inaccuracy;

The amended Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 permits the use of speedometers that meet either the requirements of EC Council Directive 75/443 (as amended by Directive 97/39) or UNECE Regulation 39.

The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001
permits single vehicles to be approved. As with the UNECE regulation and the EC Directives, the speedometer must never show an indicated speed less than the actual speed. However it differs slightly from them in specifying that for all actual speeds between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the vehicles' maximum speed if it is lower that this), the indicated speed must not exceed 110% of the actual speed, plus 6.25 mph.

For example, if the vehicle is actually travelling at 50 mph, the speedometer must not show more than 61.25 mph or less than 50 mph.
Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer

From Hansard;

Lord Allen of Abbeydale asked Her Majesty's Government:

• Whether, in the light of the increasing importance of speed limits, they have any plans to make it easier for the private motorist to have his speedometer tested for accuracy.[HL839]

Lord Whitty: The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended, allows the use of speedometers that meet the requirements of EC Community Directive 75/443(97/39) or ECE Regulation 39. Both the EC Directive and the ECE Regulation lay down accuracy requirements to be applied at the time of vehicle approval for speedometers. These requirements are that the indicated speed must not be more than 10 per cent of the true speed plus 4 km/h. In production, however, a slightly different tolerance of 5 per cent plus 10 km/h is applied. The requirements are also that the indicated speed must never be less than the true speed.
A vehicle meeting these requirements would not be able to travel at a greater speed than that shown on the speedometer and a driver could not, therefore, inadvertently exceed speed restrictions. Her Majesty's Government have no plans to introduce instrument tests.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200001/ldhansrd/vo010312/text/10312w01.htm

BSRU

A Human Being
John the Monkey said:
Speedometer Inaccuracy;

The amended Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 permits the use of speedometers that meet either the requirements of EC Council Directive 75/443 (as amended by Directive 97/39) or UNECE Regulation 39.

The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001
permits single vehicles to be approved. As with the UNECE regulation and the EC Directives, the speedometer must never show an indicated speed less than the actual speed. However it differs slightly from them in specifying that for all actual speeds between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the vehicles' maximum speed if it is lower that this), the indicated speed must not exceed 110% of the actual speed, plus 6.25 mph.

For example, if the vehicle is actually travelling at 50 mph, the speedometer must not show more than 61.25 mph or less than 50 mph.
Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer

From Hansard;

Lord Allen of Abbeydale asked Her Majesty's Government:

• Whether, in the light of the increasing importance of speed limits, they have any plans to make it easier for the private motorist to have his speedometer tested for accuracy.[HL839]

Lord Whitty: The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended, allows the use of speedometers that meet the requirements of EC Community Directive 75/443(97/39) or ECE Regulation 39. Both the EC Directive and the ECE Regulation lay down accuracy requirements to be applied at the time of vehicle approval for speedometers. These requirements are that the indicated speed must not be more than 10 per cent of the true speed plus 4 km/h. In production, however, a slightly different tolerance of 5 per cent plus 10 km/h is applied. The requirements are also that the indicated speed must never be less than the true speed.
A vehicle meeting these requirements would not be able to travel at a greater speed than that shown on the speedometer and a driver could not, therefore, inadvertently exceed speed restrictions. Her Majesty's Government have no plans to introduce instrument tests.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200001/ldhansrd/vo010312/text/10312w01.htm

So someone caught doing 39, could have thought they were doing between 39 and 49 mph, 30% to 60% over the 30 limit.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Wigsie said:
CoG should be ashamed and just thankful that he didnt hurt anyone.

I think he is. He has already reconsidered the tastefulness of the poll and expressed his regret - no need to go banging on about it. That is my point.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Wigsie said:
Snapper you know I hate the holier than thou brigade as much as anyone, And I think CoG being back after the fastest flounce/return in history is great, but there is certain things you don't joke about, speeding is one.

Anyone that has witnessed what damage reckless driving has done to people would agree, there are a few on here that have been victims of such things

Agreed. A close member of my family was killed outright, on a zebra crossing by a speeder, who also decided to leave the scene. Never been caught.

So naturally, people who speed aren't exactly at the top of my lurve list.

Armegatron

You could always say you were going to console a friend who was feeling a bit down?

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/t.../vera-baird-given-driving-ban-84229-26709952/

Our ex-MP (:smile: thank you God for helping us get her out!) finally has some justice served on her, but she still tried to cheat the system just as she did with countless expense claims and dodgy deals.

Speeding = offence. If you did it & your guilty - deal with it. If you didnt do it & your not guilty - ride the bike instead next time :biggrin:

'aird, who represented herself, began by telling magistrates she had checked their sentencing guidelines on the internet.

She informed them that they could impose between four and six penalty points or hand down a 28-day driving ban."
I bet the majs. really loved her for that.

I love the statement - "there is a train but its very slow".. Then why didn't you do something about what you now consider piss poor services when you were in power.

Speeding and inappropriate speed (eg when wet) may not be the direct cause of accidents, but the consequences are so much different when things go wrong. Unfortunately modern cars look really protective but dont offer much protection to either the occupants or to anything/one they hit despite all the adverts about safety.

Armegatron

meenaghman said:
I love the statement - "there is a train but its very slow".. Then why didn't you do something about what you now consider piss poor services when you were in power.

Speeding and inappropriate speed (eg when wet) may not be the direct cause of accidents, but the consequences are so much different when things go wrong. Unfortunately modern cars look really protective but dont offer much protection to either the occupants or to anything/one they hit despite all the adverts about safety.

"there is a train but its very slow" is also very funny, because her dog shat at a railway station and she never picked it up!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...w-failing-pick-dogs-mess-railway-station.html

Back to speeding, I was riding along minding my own business when the 30mph sign lit up saying slow down. I thought, surely Im not going that fast, and was only doing about 20. I shoulder checked and here comes a car flying up at warp factor snot behind me. He had to brake hard because he couldnt overtake at that point.

In my opinion, a 30 zone is one where 30 is the max, and hazzards such as parked cars, crossings, driveways, usually dictate a lower speed of 25 or less.

meenaghman said:
I love the statement - "there is a train but its very slow"..

The distance from london to Swansea is about 185 miles. The train takes roughly 3 hours, an average of roughly 90 mph. How ******* fast was she driving to consider that very slow?

‘‘I can only imagine that, almost at the end of the journey somewhere around Pontypridd, that I unfortunately went too fast.’’

Yeah, right.

Top Bottom