Speeding...

CoG...

• ...should adorn a black mask and start burning every speed camera in the UK

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • ...should have been cycling in the first place

• ...should object as "just" 9mph over the limit is not scientifically reliable

• ...is a whinger, rightly caught and should just pay the f****r

• ...should blame the thought of being in Dudley as the reason for driving fast to escape

• ...should claim temporary blackout

• ...should do a runner and escape to Brazil like Ronnie

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
[quote name='swee'pea99']None. Speed limits apply only to motorised vehicles.[/QUOTE]
A quote "Despite the fact that speed limits do not apply to bicycles, you can be prosecuted simply for cycling too fast - under the charge of 'cycling furiously'. You can also be prosecuted for riding dangerously or carelessly."

BSRU

A Human Being
Aperitif said:
I think it might be 'pedalling furiously' actually.
I'm always calm though, so, I don't really know...
If you get the wrong gear you could be "pedalling furiously" at 10mph.

dondare

Über Member
If you were trying to catch up with someone who had really wound you up then you might be pedalling furiously.

Unfortunately, I suspect that this "furious pedalling" is something of a myth. A bicycle is a "carriage within the meaning of the Highway Act (1835)" and as such can be driven "wantonly or furiously".

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
...on my occasional commute to work there a speed reminder-thingy at the top of a hill, just round a bend as it goes flat... I always try to get the highest reading possible... usually about 14-15, but once I managed 18... best is when there's a car overtaking you as you approach, and it says 25 or so... :smile: and I think "if only my legs were capable"... :laugh:

Fnaar said:
...on my occasional commute to work there a speed reminder-thingy at the top of a hill, just round a bend as it goes flat... I always try to get the highest reading possible... usually about 14-15, but once I managed 18... best is when there's a car overtaking you as you approach, and it says 25 or so... :laugh: and I think "if only my legs were capable"... :sad:

Just think Fnaar - a 'furious knee trembler' would be just around the corner :smile:

Rebel Ian

[quote name='swee'pea99']None. Speed limits apply only to motorised vehicles.[/QUOTE]

Yes but if people on this thread are claiming to be holier than thou about speeding on the basis that it's dangerous then I believe it's slightly hypocritcal if those same people have riden their bikes at those speeds, irrespective of whether the limits apply.

I'd rather be hit by a car at 30mph than a bike to be honest.

Rebel Ian said:
Yes but if people on this thread are claiming to be holier than thou about speeding on the basis that it's dangerous then I believe it's slightly hypocritcal if those same people have riden their bikes at those speeds, irrespective of whether the limits apply.

...a bike would swerve around you...

mangaman

Rebel Ian said:

That's probably the maddest post I've seen in 5 or 6 years posting here and the old cycling+

Would you really???

If so I'm free this weekend - stand in my road and I'll drive at you at 39(that was the speed involved) in my car, and the on my bike ( I obviously couldn't get to 39mph on my bike - but as quickly as possible)

I should do the bike test 1st I guess as you wouldn't be injured. The car test you would be dead.

Rebel Ian

mangaman said:
That's probably the maddest post I've seen in 5 or 6 years posting here and the old cycling+

Would you really???

If so I'm free this weekend - stand in my road and I'll drive at you at 39(that was the speed involved) in my car, and the on my bike ( I obviously couldn't get to 39mph on my bike - but as quickly as possible)

I should do the bike test 1st I guess as you wouldn't be injured. The car test you would be dead.

Who said anything about 39mph? My post said 30mph. Modern cars are designed to be as pedestrain friendly as possible and there are specific tests that measure it. Bikes are not designed with pedestrian safety as far as I'm aware.

mangaman

Rebel Ian said:
Who said anything about 39mph? My post said 30mph. Modern cars are designed to be as pedestrain friendly as possible and there are specific tests that measure it. Bikes are not designed with pedestrian safety as far as I'm aware.

Well the OP was driving at 39 so that is kind of what the thread is about. :tongue:

Don't worry though - stand still in the middle of my road and I'll stick to 30. You won't enjoy it.

I'm free all weekend - so feel free to PM me and I'll arrange to video it. I'll start on my bike and see how you fare, then drive at you at 30 mph in my car.

I would make sure you have a will that is up to date though.

Debian

The OP was not even marginally over the limit, this was deliberate speeding.

The OP and anyone else who deliberately speeds is a complete fcukwit.

mangaman

Debian said:
The OP was not even marginally over the limit, this was deliberate speeding.

The OP and anyone else who deliberately speeds is a complete fcukwit.

Yes - I agree Debian

Top Bottom