Speedy Ride for food-Olympic RoadRace Route-Sat 10th Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
What a ride !!!!! Huge thanks to Abs for leading the way. Loved it :smile: x

Lovely to meet everyone. Great group of peeps.

This is my first ever post on a forum of any type. Wow, think Im in a chat room.

Got asked a tough security question. If you have 4 apples and eat 1 how many do you have left. Nearly didnt manage to sign up. ha ha

Looking foward to the next ride. Plenty of protein on protein should get me through it.

Hope to see you all soon
Welcome to CC Rozz, glad you enjoyed it.

PS: You need carbs, honest ;)

Abs,

Thanks for the photo and your kind words, much appreciated

Adrian

Good ride all. Miscommunication at the end of the day left me as a back marker waiting for the slower riders to catch up. Unfortunately that wasn't to happen as they had already been ushered on and past so I was left on my tod to catch up as fast as possible, not easy when everyone's got a 20 minute head start. :?

Once we'd regrouped back at the start and said our goodbyes myself, Sapper, Martok, Topcat and Fly rode off for a few laps around Regent's before heading our seperate ways.

Well done to Sapper for his first 100! Obligatory 100 miles thumbs up photo featuring Martok, Sapper and Fly.

Sapper100small.jpg

Full size photo can be downloaded here.

Stats for the day : I did just over 104 miles in total and broke my top speed by reaching 44.9mph. Garmin data : here.

Abs

Welcome Ross

Great to see you here in these forums...

ADrian

What a ride !!!!! Huge thanks to Abs for leading the way. Loved it :smile: x

Lovely to meet everyone. Great group of peeps.

This is my first ever post on a forum of any type. Wow, think Im in a chat room.

Got asked a tough security question. If you have 4 apples and eat 1 how many do you have left. Nearly didnt manage to sign up. ha ha

Looking foward to the next ride. Plenty of protein on protein should get me through it.

Hope to see you all soon

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Yay Rozz! :biggrin:

Carbs are most certainly needed for longer more strenuous rides as they are used to produce glycogen from your slow energy release fat stores. On a no carb eating regime you will have lower glycogen production capabilities and once the carbs run out glycogen production stops. Whilst a protein diet contains a lot of glycogen and glycogen is needed to kick start the carb/fat glycogen production it is a fast burn energy source. Once the glycogen runs out the body turns to the next readily available source in the muscles. Unfortunately the body doesn't then use this energy source to access the fat as there are no carbs to bond with so it burns muscles instead. When the body is burning muscle it's not picky and burns all muscle including that of the exerting heart.

I'd suggest loading up on carbs/protein with pasta carbonara the evening before and having some carbs at lunch time of the ride. It shouldn't make a difference to a diet as the energy is going to be used burning the fat stores through out the day.

Abs

Yay Rozz! :biggrin:

Carbs are most certainly needed for longer more strenuous rides as they are used to produce glycogen from your slow energy release fat stores. On a no carb eating regime you will have lower glycogen production capabilities and once the carbs run out glycogen production stops. Whilst a protein diet contains a lot of glycogen and glycogen is needed to kick start the carb/fat glycogen production it is a fast burn energy source. Once the glycogen runs out the body turns to the next readily available source in the muscles. Unfortunately the body doesn't then use this energy source to access the fat as there are no carbs to bond with so it burns muscles instead. When the body is burning muscle it's not picky and burns all muscle including that of the exerting heart.

I'd suggest loading up on carbs/protein with pasta carbonara the evening before and having some carbs at lunch time of the ride. It shouldn't make a difference to a diet as the energy is going to be used burning the fat stores through out the day.

Abs

Mars Bars???
biggrin.gif

I'm amazed anyone could do a ride like this without carbs! During the ride you would be running on kentones (from fat and protein metabolism), too many of which can make you really sick (and make your breath smell of pear drops, although only about 1/3 of people can actually smell ketones). Also by cutting out the carbs completely you play havoc with the hormones that regulate energy release (insulin and glucagon) so you will be exercising much less efficiently and at a serious risk of becoming hypoglycaemic (low blood sugar) and passing out.

Any carbs you eat before and after a major ride will be stored as much needed glycogen in your liver and muscles. These areas will be seriously depleted so there will be no danger of the occasional card being stored as fat. (Only excess carbs go to fat once these stores are full). Glycogen itself is a carbohydrate, in fact it is the reason that horse meat tastes reletively sweet - they have lots of it because they are athletes.

Don't eat too much horsemeat Rozz - it tastes allfoal and you'll end up in horspital. Always drink tea with two shergars though...

Blimey! I didn't know this was serious business - I just know that when you ride, your body becomes this nice fire that ingnites any fuel posted in the hatch. Of course, us disciplinarians don't take in useless carbs like beer and stuff, but piles of chips and other delicacies are tasty! :smile: Regular riding is the best portion control that money can buy.

Top Bottom