Speedy Ride for food-Olympic RoadRace Route-Sat 10th Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Thanks for your company and to Abs and Ian especially for the set-up.

Really enjoyed the ride , the lunch and the weather.

Great set of photos too Adam.

Call me stupid but did a 60 minute spin class this morning.....

My last training ride before I start my challenge is here..

http://www.action.org.uk/action_arrows_100/100km_route

Regarded on the difficulty scale of 8/10

AA 100KM Route
Actual Distance: 102KM / 63.4 miles
Metres Climbed: 813m
Max Gradient: 8.61%
Average Gradient: 0.91%
Difficulty: 8/10
Feed Stations x 3

^ Looks a nice ride, Sapper. This is Adam / flying dodo territory! Don't be surprised if he appears flying walking through the air. Waddesdon Manor is a super place to start - and finish. (Free samples from the cellar to all participants? :tongue:) Good luck.

halojmaldon112.jpg

I can see what you are thinking from your expression Adam - the jacket spoils the picture...really throws the colour balance out. Better without methinks :tongue:

^ Looks a nice ride, Sapper. This is Adam / flying dodo territory! Don't be surprised if he appears flying walking through the air. Waddesdon Manor is a super place to start - and finish. (Free samples from the cellar to all participants? :tongue:) Good luck.

You're right, old chap. :hello:

Sapper - you won't have many problems with that ride, as the last half is almost flat. How they can say 8/10 on a difficulty scale is beyond me, as you did far more climbing yesterday.

Good luck, and enjoy the views.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
That does look like a good route (and thanks for bringing it to my attention, Sapper). Adam's right - a lot of it is flat. You've got one of the easier ascents of the Chiltern ridge, and a great swoop down to Tring. Unfortunately next Sunday will be the first chance Mrs W and I get to spend time together for a while - I'm away all week. One of the advantages of living around here is that you don't need to wait for someone else to organise a ride, so I shall mentally reserve the route for another clear day.

That does look like a good route (and thanks for bringing it to my attention, Sapper). Adam's right - a lot of it is flat. You've got one of the easier ascents of the Chiltern ridge, and a great swoop down to Tring. Unfortunately next Sunday will be the first chance Mrs W and I get to spend time together for a while - I'm away all week. One of the advantages of living around here is that you don't need to wait for someone else to organise a ride, so I shall mentally reserve the route for another clear day.

Well when Ive done it, i will upload it to ridewithgps for you if you like?

Looking forward to it, doing it with another friend who is also on the challenge, hence why we have coughed up £28squids!

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Good ride all. Miscommunication at the end of the day left me as a back marker waiting for the slower riders to catch up. Unfortunately that wasn't to happen as they had already been ushered on and past so I was left on my tod to catch up as fast as possible, not easy when everyone's got a 20 minute head start. :?

Once we'd regrouped back at the start and said our goodbyes myself, Sapper, Martok, Topcat and Fly rode off for a few laps around Regent's before heading our seperate ways.

Well done to Sapper for his first 100! Obligatory 100 miles thumbs up photo featuring Martok, Sapper and Fly.

Sapper100small.jpg

Full size photo can be downloaded here.

Stats for the day : I did just over 104 miles in total and broke my top speed by reaching 44.9mph. Garmin data : here.

Abs

redjedi

Über Member
Stats for the day : I did just over 104 miles in total and broke my top speed by reaching 44.9mph. Garmin data : here.

Abs

I was going to ask you how fast you went down that hill. According to my Garmin it said I broke the 50mph barrier for the first time :biggrin:

I need to upload it to some sites to see if they say anything different.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done for the 100 miler Sapper. It was nice to met and ride with you.
Hope you enjoyed the ride and hope to see you on one of the other rides. (And that goes for all the new riders
thumbsup.png
).

20 people! it seem's these rides are getting more popular as the year goes by. Thank you all for making the effort to come along. It was a great mix of old Cycle Chat faces and new.

It was a really lovely ride. The overall pace was not too fast and not too slow and served up some cracking cycling. A few busy roads to contend with but this is the Olympic Road Race route and they will have closed roads to help them along. But it did have some cracking country lanes and views that more then made up for the traffic.
I was very pleased to see that everyone managed to cycle up both Shere Hill and Box Hill
bravo.gif
, and the descent into Gomershall is Cycling heaven.

The traffic when we got back into London was friggin' horrendous due to roadworks which meant we got a bit split. So sorry about that.

The weather was pretty good and even the sun shined now and again. We did have a little shower of rain after Box Hill but nothing major... so User sort out your bit of seaweed.....

A big cheers to TC1 for helping out with the back marking/way marking and for the splendiferous photo's as usual

We will be doing this ride again in the new year... maybe even before.

Next months ride (Martin's) is next on October the 22nd. It's a very nice mix of climbs, rolling hills and speedy parts of about 120 miles to Rye and back. No doubt about it, It's a leg stretcher and an ideal ride for those who want to push themselves a little more. But it's worth it for the gigantic plate of Fish and Chips at the Ypres Castle Pub. So hope to see some of you then.

ps. Q: When does a Sausage Baguette become a Sausage Ploughman's?

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
I was going to ask you how fast you went down that hill. According to my Garmin it said I broke the 50mph barrier for the first time :biggrin:

I need to upload it to some sites to see if they say anything different.

I checked elsewhere. Ride with GPS says I achieved 48.8mph on the same section. I'll stick with what Garmin says though as a point in reference. I know I was doing 38mph when Ross and Adrian passed me as I checked! Although I discovered at lunch they were both riding a 52 crank. I ran out of legs on my lowly 50x11 combination.

Martok

Klingon on a bike
Thanks to Abs for all the planning she did for this route (and for everything else, she's ace
2388_smoochers.gif
) and to the organising she and Ian did.

This was my third CycleChat ride for food this year. both of the previous ones (Maldon in January and Dover in May) I had found a struggle, partly due to the weather not being great but mostly because I was just plain unfit and overweight. This time was different - there was still some challenge to it for me but I felt comfortable keeping up with everyone. Shere Hill was the worst for me, I did have to stop going up that but I was please that I made it up box Hill in one hit (albeit slowly). That was my challenge for the day and I achieved it.
smile.gif

I was also rather pleased at the comments about my weight loss from various people. Thanks for the confidence booster.
biggrin.gif
Hopefully the next time I do one of these rides I'll be even slimmer.

Stats for the day: just over 104 miles with a max of 44.5 mph.

Ess

Howdy folks

Lovely to meet you all on Sat.

Special thanks to Ian for being my personal draft excluder. Also to Abs for babysitting up Shere Hill. That was my 5th 100 miler of the year and it was quite an 'eye balls out' ride for me. I can imagine if I cycled more regularly or commuted I think the pace would be fine. I would heartily recommend it to any newby interested (who had a good pace) because you are a welcoming and encouraging group. I'll try to keep up the good work and hope to see you sooooon.

Ess

p.s. Good to see the group photos are nicely out of focus.....:biggrin:

Top Bottom