Split in chainstay dimple

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chug666

Hi all, hoping for some advice... I have a(nother) single speed project on the go, aiming to build a simple village runaround using an old condor touring frame as the base. All was going well until I spotted a crack/split along the length of the inner chainstay dimple, on the drive side. It runs the length of the dimple, not beyond it, and is fairly uniform in width, almost as if it were there intentionally for drainage (I’m trying to convince myself this is a possibility but fear not!).

I’ll try to add photos later, but any thoughts on options? Is there an easy fix, could it be ridden as is, could it just possibly be there by design, or is the frame toast?! It is along the length of the tube, not around it, which I’m taking as a good sign...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

midlife

Guru
Inner chainstay dimple ? Pics needed :smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

Pictures please, sounds like it might be a scrapper.

OP
OP
chug666

chug666

Hopefully this will work- pic below... Tempted to seal it and bodge a repair with jubilee clips, then watch it to see if it gets worse- terrible idea?!

Attachments

• IMG_20180922_145806.jpg
    IMG_20180922_145806.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 53
D

Deleted member 1258

I'm no expert but that looks like a deliberate slot rather than a crack.

That's what I thought, strange, first time I've seen that.

OP
OP
chug666

chug666

That was my first reaction too, looks too straight and contained by the dimple to be a crack. Unless the dimple pushed too far and bent the metal too thin? But the fact it hasn't spread must be a good sign surely?!

Yes, I can get a pin through the gap into the void. Metal around it seems OK (like you'd find around most drainage holes in any steel frame really) and the frame doesn't flex in any weird ways.

OP
OP
chug666

chug666

I have waxoyl, good idea. Nothing on the other side, the frame has matching dimples on the outsides but just this one on the inside.

My take on that is, it maybe a botched repair....... There may have been a small crack there, & it has been cut out with a small slitting disc in an attempt to stop the crack propagating, I have seen small holes (2 or 3mm) drilled either end of a crack for the same reason. Does seem a strange area for a crack to form though, unless as mentioned, it occurred during manufacture.......... Who knows?

Top Bottom