[SPOILER ALERT] - F1 & Jules Bianchi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
LINKY

Despite knowing the risks involved I'm still always shocked when drivers are seriously injured in this day and age.

I think it's the timescale between the big accidents that perhaps makes us a touch complacent, whereas in the 'glorious' old days it was basically accepted as par for the course, maybe not every race but certainly multiple times every season.

I guess you can do as much as possible to safe guard such events but you can never totally guarantee how the human body will react to such a trauma :smile:

GWS Monsieur Bianchi :hugs:

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
I believe he's undergoing surgery now for a severe head injury :sad:

Fingers crossed
fingers_crossed.png
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwToaxgFk5vPcRRtQyyeZQN0pYt7EL9phJBGe616IPnxPk9-R5.png

AndyRM

XOXO
I really hope he's ok, but sadly it doesn't sound good, considering the speeds and the impact. Poor chap.

Like you say though, a lot has been done to safeguard an incredibly dangerous sport.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
While I echo the good wishes of everyone here, could the OP or the mods alter the title so as not to be a spoiler for those still to watch the race? Being an early morning (our time) race, some will have recorded it and indeed it is on BBC1 right now being shown as live.

GC

D

Deleted member 1258

I was watching this morning, but turned off to go out as soon as the race finished without realizing how serious the incident was, lets hope he makes a quick and full recovery.
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/209392/1/bianchi-suffers-severe-head-injury-in-crash.html

TVC

Breathing unaided it the important bit, it means he isn't being kept in an induced coma. Lets hope it stays that way.

Learnincurve

I'm a bit of a F1 buff, and was sad enough to have been watching this from 5:30am today. Three things went wrong here and none of them were to do with how safe the cars are.

Firstly the use of JCBs to remove damaged cars while the race track is live has been complained about for years. Secondly Charlie Whiting the race director messed up, people were calling for a safety car before sutil went off. When he went off it went to double yellows and not a safety car, the safety car came out after Jules' accident. Thirdly, the FIA twice asked if the race could be held earlier, and both times the race organisers refused, something went badly wrong if the people responsible for safety can't make that call.

I've seen pictures of the crash and aftermath itself, I won't link them here. But don't worry, there is no blood, no missing head and no smashed helmet. It looks very much like the back of the car went under the JCB and the sidepod hit the tyre. It is likely that if it did impact his head it wasn't as bad as people first thought or that he is suffering neck trauma or brain bruising from the G force.

classic33

Leg End Member
While I echo the good wishes of everyone here, could the OP or the mods alter the title so as not to be a spoiler for those still to watch the race? Being an early morning (our time) race, some will have recorded it and indeed it is on BBC1 right now being shown as live.

GC
T'was live on the BBC this morning.

Learnincurve

I suspect rather more people would like to know that there was a very nasty crash which ended the race . If you don't want to watch that bit then you are good till lap 42 but in fact you don't see the crash or the car afterwards on TV.

Top Bottom