[SPOILER ALERT] - F1 & Jules Bianchi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I'm a bit of a F1 buff, and was sad enough to have been watching this from 5:30am today. Three things went wrong here and none of them were to do with how safe the cars are.

Firstly the use of JCBs to remove damaged cars while the race track is live has been complained about for years. Secondly Charlie Whiting the race director messed up, people were calling for a safety car before sutil went off. When he went off it went to double yellows and not a safety car, the safety car came out after Jules' accident. Thirdly, the FIA twice asked if the race could be held earlier, and both times the race organisers refused, something went badly wrong if the people responsible for safety can't make that call.

1: This I could possibly agree with, although requiring a safety car every time a car needs to be wheeled off seems excessive to me.
2: What "people"? The majority of the field were still happily driving around on intermediates. There was zero indication prior to the incident that the track was unsafe.
3: Hindsight is a brilliant thing. There was heavy rain forecast throughout the day. If they had started earlier, the heavy rain that delayed the start would have happened during the race.

This was a very unfortunate accident, as happens in motorsport sometimes. But I don't see any reasonable way to blame the organizers.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I suspect rather more people would like to know that there was a very nasty crash which ended the race . If you don't want to watch that bit then you are good till lap 42 but in fact you don't see the crash or the car afterwards on TV.

I disagree. The point is that when there's a major televised sporting event it's good etiquette on any forum not to give away anything about it in the title of a thread.

GC

classic33

Leg End Member
I disagree. The point is that when there's a major televised sporting event it's good etiquette on any forum not to give away anything about it in the title of a thread.

GC
How long is acceptable to keep quiet about something though?
The BBC showed it live this morning with a re-run later. Sky didn't show the repeat as they normally do.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's not about keeping it quiet. As @glasgowcyclist quite rightly said. It's good forum netiquette not to give spoilers in thread titles. People can make their own mind if they want to read the thread or not.

glasgowcyclist

How long is acceptable to keep quiet about something though?
The BBC showed it live this morning with a re-run later. Sky didn't show the repeat as they normally do.

There's nothing to stop people discussing it, provided the thread title alerts readers that they may discover information that will spoil their viewing.

GC

U

User33236

Latest on the BBC site:-

"Earlier reports in the French media said Bianchi was breathing on his own following surgery. However there are now conflicting accounts. BBC Sport is seeking clarification on his condition."

Fingers crossed the conflicting reports are wrong.

Learnincurve

1: This I could possibly agree with, although requiring a safety car every time a car needs to be wheeled off seems excessive to me.
2: What "people"? The majority of the field were still happily driving around on intermediates. There was zero indication prior to the incident that the track was unsafe.
3: Hindsight is a brilliant thing. There was heavy rain forecast throughout the day. If they had started earlier, the heavy rain that delayed the start would have happened during the race.

This was a very unfortunate accident, as happens in motorsport sometimes. But I don't see any reasonable way to blame the organizers.

Massa and is on record as saying he was calling for a safety car 5 laps before it went out, he's one of the three directors of the GPDA (The Grand Prix Drivers' Association). It's 50/50 on who was happy on inters, only Hamilton is quoted as saying he didn't think it needed a safety car, many other people, including Jenson think it did. Don't be that guy who takes Hamilton's word for it, he is well known for only ever calling for a safety car whenever he is Aquaplaning and tends to forget that some of the younger drivers or backmarkers are not able to hold it together like he can, as I fear we saw today.

I was watching the Sky coverage live so I may have a different perspective on this. Before the track parade even started Brundle categorically stated he felt that the main race should have taken place earlier when the support races did and the other's all couldn't understand why the FIA had asked twice rather than demanded.

I don't think this needs a knee jerk reaction, firstly we need to look at what is allowed trackside and also marshal training, this isn't the first time this year marshals have put themselves at risk. They should be thanking their stars that he hit the JCB and not the 4 of them stood round sutils car moving it.

Secondly we need to enforce the rules already in place, we are in danger of/already are thinking that because a fatal accident hasn't happened in 20 years then it won't happen and are getting lax, no way cars should have been going the speed the way they were with double yellows out for example.

A morbid fact is that there was a near fatal accident the last time it was a washout in Japan. 20 years ago, on that same corner, Brundle went off and his head missed hitting a JCB out to retrieve another car by inches.

classic33

Leg End Member
Conflicting reports all day.
The medical helicopter that wasn't there was reported as having taken off at the same time the ambulance left. Nearest hospital doesn't have a helipad it seems.

classic33

Leg End Member
I was watching it live on Sky for whatever difference that makes. Aware that it was also on BBC at the same time. Doesn't alter a thing in how I view what happened though.

How do "we enforce the rules"? We are not part of the FIA!

Learnincurve

Sky didn't show the repeat as they normally do.

I don't think Sky can show the repeat without some major commentary editing, it was really creepy in hindsight. As Jules crashed Martin was telling his story about nearly crashing into a JCB at that corner and he had already mentioned it several times already before hand that show.

Learnincurve

Conflicting reports all day.
The medical helicopter that wasn't there was reported as having taken off at the same time the ambulance left. Nearest hospital doesn't have a helipad it seems.

I'm answer for everything girl on this one. It was because of the pressure, if you have a choice you don't send someone to hospital in a helicopter if they have serious head injuries because the increase in air pressure can make them worse. They would have weighed up the risks with the transfer to hospital taking longer by road and decided it was the least risky.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm answer for everything girl on this one. It was because of the pressure, if you have a choice you don't send someone to hospital in a helicopter if they have serious head injuries because the increase in air pressure can make them worse. They would have weighed up the risks with the transfer to hospital taking longer by road and decided it was the least risky.
The helimed was reported in the buildup to the race as never arriving at the racetrack. Later reported by Martin Brundle & Anthony Davidison, as having left at the same time as the ground ambulance.
First thoughts for me were that Sutil wasn't moving in the car. If you get a chance to see it with Brundle commentating, you'll hear him having a go at marshalls running on the track. Before the second collision became clear.

glasgowcyclist

Atmospheric pressure decreases with altitude.

I'm only guessing here but the very poor weather may have been the deciding factor in the choice of transport.

GC

Top Bottom