[SPOILERS] Critérium du Dauphiné

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Martin is looking good, but I think he played a card too early today and got caught out. If he wins the stage with that kind of late attack, he lays down a marker. If he sits back and finishes comfortably in the group, everyone thinks that he's riding within himself and remains wary. But if he attacks and then gets beaten, it's the worst of both worlds: it suggests that he really wants a stage and that is all he's really riding for here.

raindog

er.....
Probably just testing his legs.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Andy Schleck was very poor again today. I know he may be taking it easy but after two hilly stages to be in 120th, just one second ahead of John Degenkolb, a massive sprinter who practically has to be carried up hills, is really a bit worse than taking it easy...

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
And then every time there was a shot of Schleck over the "Back of the Peloton" graphic they kept saying "It's all right, he's not worried"

Had me in stitches everytime they did it.

Ah! Thanks for the explanation. I noticed that and thought it was odd that they kept repeating the line, but hadn't heard the interview so didn't quite get the joke. Brilliant.

d.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Andy Schleck was very poor again today. I know he may be taking it easy but after two hilly stages to be in 120th, just one second ahead of John Degenkolb, a massive sprinter who practically has to be carried up hills, is really a bit worse than taking it easy...

Bad prologue, two terrible stages, not looking particularly comfortable in the saddle... maybe a stage win to 'save' his Dauphiné, but I doubt it. All in all, not good prep for the Tour...

Keith Oates

Janner
If AS and Bruyneel are not getting on to well then I can see that as the cause for his apparent lack of interest in this race. However, if that is the cause then I think he's behaving in a very childish manner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

raindog

er.....
(this is brilliant - posted on CN forum by "etymology")

so this was Andy's conversation with Vino at the back of the peloton on monday.........

andrea: So, Vino, me and my temporarily detatched siamese twin Frank were thinking of riding for Astana next year. Johan *thinks* he is a master motivator and tactician...hahahahahhahaha, he can fool most of his teams most of the time, but he can't fool me and Frank! me and Frank know I will win le tour, and anyone who is so much as half aware of my rigorous training this year knows JB does not understand our training tactics. he should stick to things he does best, like selecting and knowing exactly how to change fresh picked beets to magically transform into mountain juice.
Plus, Johann is a big bully and says bad things about me and Frank to reporters.
Our daddy told us meandfrank will be the leaders we were born to be AND win THE tour for you if you bring us to Astana. to show our respect for and thanks to you, we promise that in each of our three pre-tour training races, we will ride in a way that makes it look like we are trying and more importantly, like we actually care.
So, whaddya' think about my offer, vino?

vino: Vino think he may be first EVER rider forced to abandon due to laughing and ruptured funnybone.

andrea: b-b-b-b-b-but

vino: Andy no like time trial. Andy no like descending. Andy no like rain. Andy no like cold. Andy no like big heat. Andy no like crosswinds. Andy no like headwinds. Andy no like serious training. Andy complain too much about everything.

andrea: But Viiiiiiiiiiinnnnooooo...

vino: Plus, Andy never learn to fix his own damn chain and Vino NEVER tell ds order teammate to neutralize race when Vino crash downhill. When Vino crash down hill and rip up knee, thigh, and elbow, vino pick himself up, change bike, and bleed all way to finish, then wait for time trial when Vino kick *** to get time back.

andrea: Yeahbut, you cheated that time!

vino: Not Vino's fault someone give him wrong bag of blood. Vino still ride time trial - Vino's bandages weighed half as much as bike that day. Vino got busted, so what? Vino still crushed everyone in time trial. Vino take punishment. Vino no complain. Vino never cry over spilled blood.

andrea: But Viiiiiiiiiinnnnnnoooooooo....

vino:Frank get call from Johan week before giro. Johan tell Frank "jakob out, you in." Frank cry and complain. Frank try to weasel out - Frank tell Johan "sorry, no can do - have to go on vacation with brother Andy." Johan tell Frank "have nice vacation with Andy in italy....see you in herning on 5 may!"

andrea: Johan KNOWS we always swim with the dolphins in may!

vino: Vino do high altitude training on glaciers may. Frank fall and hurt shoulder....Frank blame alex. Next day, Frank quit because his shoulder hurt. Vino never disgrace Astana with his racing. Vino attack, Schlecks sit back.

andrea: Does that mean "no deal?"

vino: You quick study, Andy! Maybe tomorrow you talk with Big George...if he retire this year, Cadel need new super domestique next year!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Heh. Lovely. I can forgive Vino most things after his ride up the Poggio in 2010 (along with Evans, of course).

The most annoying thing is that the Schlecks could be really exciting to watch if they just STFU and got on with it. If Andy's going for a big stage win in this Dauphiné, he'd better do it in some style if he wants to come out of the race with any credit.

Big attack on the Joux-Plane on Saturday? [edit: just checked the stage profile and it seems they have to come down the other side before the finish, so maybe not...]

d.

Top Bottom