Spokes Rubbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T675Rich

My front wheel started making a noise a couple of rides ago after a bit of investigation I think it is a couple of spokes rubbing as it wasn't the reflector and it didn't happen unless my bike was of the ground, it also didn't happen when I was turning on the bike, it's also not the mud guard. My question really is what an cause spokes to rub, I assume it is because a spoke is a bit loose, how would that have happened? The bike has only done around 100 miles, I haven't hit any pot holes hard and it is mainly on flattish surfaces. I saw some things say just add a bit of lube to the spokes, would riding a bike with a loose spoke not possibly lead to more problems down the line?

The bike will be serviced at the weekend and they will 'true' the wheel according to their servicing info so I imagine that should fix it but I am just trying to understand what may have caused it.

"Rubbing" implies two things moving w.r.t. each other. What is rubbing on the spokes?

A loose spoke is easy to identify. Start at the valve and pluck each spoke in succession as if you're playing the harp. The loose spoke will quickly declare itself.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

"Rubbing" implies two things moving w.r.t. each other. What is rubbing on the spokes?

A loose spoke is easy to identify. Start at the valve and pluck each spoke in succession as if you're playing the harp. The loose spoke will quickly declare itself.

Sorry I was a bit vague, I think two spokes are rubbing at the point at which they cross. I don't know which ones are rubbing though but I think I have eliminated the other possibilities.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My front wheel started making a noise a couple of rides ago after a bit of investigation I think it is a couple of spokes rubbing as it wasn't the reflector and it didn't happen unless my bike was of the ground, it also didn't happen when I was turning on the bike, it's also not the mud guard. My question really is what an cause spokes to rub, I assume it is because a spoke is a bit loose, how would that have happened? The bike has only done around 100 miles, I haven't hit any pot holes hard and it is mainly on flattish surfaces. I saw some things say just add a bit of lube to the spokes, would riding a bike with a loose spoke not possibly lead to more problems down the line?

The bike will be serviced at the weekend and they will 'true' the wheel according to their servicing info so I imagine that should fix it but I am just trying to understand what may have caused it.

Crap/cheap wheel, should get sorted at the 'free' 1st 'service' (make sure you tell them about it when you take the bike in though)

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry I was a bit vague, I think two spokes are rubbing at the point at which they cross. I don't know which ones are rubbing though but I think I have eliminated the other possibilities.
Put a drop of chain lube between the spokes once you’ve had the wheel checked by LBS

rrarider

Veteran
You could always do what racing cyclists used to do in order to make wheels a bit stiffer, namely tie and solder the spokes at the point where they cross. That would certainly stop them from rubbing.

rrarider

Veteran
Do people really do this?
They certainly used to. I've not heard of anyone doing it recently. I think if you went into one of the shops run by that big bike chain and asked the 'mechanic' to do it to your wheels, you would be greeted by a look of complete incomprehension.

the snail

Guru
Possibly the spokes have some twist in them and the noise is the nipples unwinding? I think stress-relieving the spokes is a good idea with cheap wheels, could prevent problems with broken spokes later.

Top Bottom