Spokes Rubbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
His statements and claims were always meticulously backed up with data or explanations to the extent that opinion did not matter. I never once saw him express aggression in any thread. He didn't tolerate fools, but proving a fool wrong without pussyfooting around the issue is not aggression.

I give you his assertion that a hub didn't hang from the spokes above, but stood on the spokes below.

He did assume that everyone who disagreed with was a fool. That's a little aggressive.

I give you his assertion that a hub didn't hang from the spokes above, but stood on the spokes below.

He did assume that everyone who disagreed with was a fool. That's a little aggressive.

I agree that he asserted that. I don't agree that he considered every person (or even any person) who disagreed a fool. You'll have to post a citing to that. Further, he patiently explained on many, many occasions how it is that a hub stands on the bottom spokes. To date, this has not been refuted, but proven again and again.
Defending a position with cold hard facts is not aggression. That's how science works.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I think we'll just have to disagree about JB. The bottom spokes in a wheel are still under tension.
I do like his wheel-building book though.

I think we'll just have to disagree about JB. The bottom spokes in a wheel are still under tension.
I do like his wheel-building book though.
Call me aggressive, but with that statement you indicate that you don't understand the concept. Read the book again. It is elegant, simple and lucid.

Yes, the bottom spokes are still in tension, but in less tension that what they were before they were (slightly) compressed. A reduction in tension does not imply out-of-tension.

You still have to give citings for the aggression you claimed. You are not off the hook.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've just turned the wheels on my parked bike.

I don't want that bottom spoke to break under the weight of the hub.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You've been here a very long time and should remember the debates. I've explained the concept many times and even hinted to the answer above. Search old posts for the key words you provided.
I don't remember the debates and I can be bothered searching.

However, you may well know something I don't, so can you tell me what the bottom spokes on a wheel compress against (Apart from the inner tube)?

Salar

A fish out of water
I've not read The Bicycle Wheel or seen the old posts etc.

It is however relatively straightforward to analyse a bicycle wheel when static with a load applied at the axle. It has been done many times.

If I've time at the weekend (no promises) I'll run it through one of my design programmes (yes I'm an engineer :rolleyes:) to see what it predicts.

I've a pretty good idea what the results will show, but I'll wait and see.

I can't simulate rotation though!! so this is just a bit of fun (he says).

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This is your hook: "Brandt was always very forceful in his opinions (and downright aggressive on forums)."

Have you considered that there's a chance you could be wrong?

It's obvious that a hub stands on its bottom spokes just like SS/Fixed are better at driving a rear sprocket because the chain is not pushing it through bends like on a derailleur equipped bike (it's also why riders of these bikes place such importance on chainline and get it as straight as possible)

Top Bottom