Spokes Rubbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No it isn't. now @Yellow Saddle posts on here again he'll probably agree that 'soldering' spokes puts more force/stress through the section after the solder leading to them breaking as the energy is only put into that section of the spoke instead of the whole length.

He ain't gonna say that.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh gawd, soldering spokes sounds like another one of those urban myth things like tapping a soft drink can to prevent it fizzing over when opened or hanging an earth strap on your car to prevent car-sickness.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Years ago, I discovered that over the years several spokes on a particular wheel had worn flats on each other where they crossed! It might well have been a cheapo wheel - I can't remember what type it was.

Reactions: gbb

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
I tied and soldered my TT wheels BITD, was a bit tricky when the trend went to radially spoked :smile:

Nutter!:wacko:

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Well it is back from the service and the noise persists, I assume they trued the wheel so I am probably wrong, I will do the harp test dealie when I get home.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well it is back from the service and the noise persists, I assume they trued the wheel so I am probably wrong, I will do the harp test dealie when I get home.
Ask them if they did indeed true the wheel rather than assuming

Did you lube the offending spokes?

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Ask them if they did indeed true the wheel rather than assuming

Did you lube the offending spokes?

They told me that my rear wheel was not true by quite a way which they said was probably the noise so they trued that but I didn't ask about the front, I just assumed they would have done the front. I hadn't lubed the spokes yet as I assumed it would get fixed in the service but I will before my next ride.

Svendo

Guru
I've seen a few wheels tied & soldered. A friend in the States stills builds his wheels thus. Like a lot of stuff related to cycling (and all sport), there's no reliable evidence for or against it.
I have read this article before and this thread brought it to mind. It found in the case in hand it made no difference (other than presumably adding some rotating weight.)

There will be a penalty if anybody tangents this thread off into a rotating weight and it’s significance or not discussion.

T675Rich, Have you tested the spoke tensions by plucking them and listening for a low or duff one, or worse a rattling one?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have read this article before and this thread brought it to mind. It found in the case in hand it made no difference (other than presumably adding some rotating weight.)

Brandt was always very forceful in his opinions (and downright aggressive on forums).

Brandt was always very forceful in his opinions (and downright aggressive on forums).

His statements and claims were always meticulously backed up with data or explanations to the extent that opinion did not matter. I never once saw him express aggression in any thread. He didn't tolerate fools, but proving a fool wrong without pussyfooting around the issue is not aggression.

Top Bottom