Spring into the Dales - Sun 15th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm basing it on Alun and I not making it back in time on Season of Mists in October, and us not being much fitter now! SITD is 110 km so it is about 53 kms shorter than last week's ride, but about 5 times as hilly!

We should be okay - we'll have 9 hours and 10 minutes and the last couple of years it took us 8 hours 30ish.

Oh dear I think I maaaaaaay just be suffering at some point Sunday :bicycle:

Paul

Calum

Think I might do this! Will probably end up with the 'slow train' (that's where all the cool kids are!), but I might find doing it really slowely with lots of stops harder than getting my backside in gear and going for it! Think i'll enter and see what happens!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hope you all have a great ride, I won't be there as off to the in-laws this weekend instead.
Well, I reckon you deserve a good rest after your recent crazy 24 hour endurance race! (BTW - congratulations on an excellent 3rd place! :thumbsup:)
Oh dear I think I maaaaaaay just be suffering at some point Sunday :bicycle:

Paul
You won't be alone! The forecast is for a strong northerly wind which will be against us some of the way out but at least we will have a tailwind on the last 2 climbs back.

Think I might do this! Will probably end up with the 'slow train' (that's where all the cool kids are!), but I might find doing it really slowely with lots of stops harder than getting my backside in gear and going for it! Think i'll enter and see what happens!
We will be setting off at 09:00 but the first train from Leeds gets in at 09:17 so you would be starting late. If you can't persuade colly to come along and give you a lift, then I would give organiser Chris Crossland a call and tell him that you would like to start at about 09:25.

If you chase after us you will catch us up. You know the route don't you? If not, you'll get a route sheet, but the first section is easy to navigate anyway - straight up the Keighley Road and down to Oxenhope where you take the first left (not the second left at the mini roundabout that I've been taking on recent forum rides). Climb over Penistone Hill and turn left after the reservoir and head towards Laneshaw Bridge. You would definitely catch us before then if your train was on time.

I know what you mean about riding slowly feeling harder - all my rides are like that nowadays! I have never had so much backache and so many saddle sores ...

Calum

Right sod it I'm coming and starting late, will enter when I get home. I know that first section, but will grab a route sheet just in case you've turned into Lance Armstrong and I can't catch you that quickly! Think i'll have to stick with you anyway as I might get lost if I speed off!!

potsy

Rambler
Right sod it I'm coming and starting late, will enter when I get home. I know that first section, but will grab a route sheet just in case you've turned into Lance Armstrong and I can't catch you that quickly! Think i'll have to stick with you anyway as I might get lost if I speed off!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ColinJ

Right sod it I'm coming and starting late, will enter when I get home.
You might have to EOL now. You could email chris.crossland (AT) halifaxctc.org.uk and check if that is ok.
I know that first section, but will grab a route sheet just in case you've turned into Lance Armstrong and I can't catch you that quickly! Think i'll have to stick with you anyway as I might get lost if I speed off!!
Lard Armstrong, more like! :blush:

potsy

Rambler
Ever get the feeling we are being watched! :whistle:

Alun and I will try and get back before you pack the food away this time Chris! :thumbsup:
I e-mailed Chris last night, got a reply today :thumbsup:
Entry on the day is fine, though please bring completed entry form with you.

We can always send Calum on ahead to 'reserve' us some grub, if we are struggling :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Oh, I forgot that I have bike fettling to do! I want to get a short test ride in after that to make sure the new chain doesn't slip on the old rings & cassette. They look slightly worn but I think they should be okay. Best to check though because I've had a ride ruined in the past by a new chain slipping.

(For those who don't already know this - if you leave a chain on too long, it gets really worn and can wear your cassette and chainrings to fit it. After that a new chain can often slip under pressure. At that point you either also replace the chainrings and/or cassette or you have to put the old chain back on and ride the old transmission until it is completely knackered and then do it.)

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Are we having a 3 stop strategy again??
Breakfast at The Dalesman, Dinner at Rossi's, and Supper at the HQ? :hungry:

I don't know it depends on the weather and how I feel on the day.

I went out on a warm up ride today and it chucked it down twice and was cold, it was the first chance I have had to get out for a ride in over 2 weeks as I have just been to busy working, last time I went out it was blazing sunshine. I plan to get out again tomorrow.

I sort of fancy getting round a bit quicker however it depends what the weather is like and what I feel like on the day, I just hope it isn't chucking it down coz I will not be able to drag myself out of bed if it is.

Top Bottom