Spring into the Dales - Sun 15th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alun

Guru
Think there will be a 'slow train' within the 'slow train' Al :whistle:

Are we meeting at the car park like last year, then walking down early to sign on?
I'm hoping to be there for 8.15am
Yes, I'll aim for the CP for 8.15am. Then sign on and get some biscuits !

So, the slow train is -
Colin (group leader)
SteveH
potsy (back-up navigator)
Calum (only so he doesn't get lost)
Alun
Oldfatfool?
Phil?

Anyone else?
Not sure if I'm slow train or just hanging on to the back for dear life in all honesty as I have never ridden in a group or even with anyone else before (wonder if that's why the wife calls me Billy no mates ?:rolleyes: ^_^ ) so have never had a benchmark to measure my performance by. So I will probably take the tried and trusted approach and suck it and see .

Paul

OP
OP
Steve H

Steve H

Large Member
Evening all.

Apologies I've been off-line for so long. Its my last week off work before my new job starts next week and its been nice just pottering around with the kids during the Easter holidays, so just had a bit of time out from technology as well.

I'm still on for this ride tomorrow. Definitely feeling a bit daunted. The hills are going to make it a suffer-fest for us 'larger than the average riders'. Looking forward to eating heartily in the many cafe stops though!

See you all in the usual car park.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I didn't get back to my Basso fettling until 20:45 so it was quite late when I finished it. As a result, I have an untested bike! It should be okay, but new chains and old cogs are always potentially iffy, though the amount of wear seemed acceptably low. I took the opportunity to clean and lube the freehub which had been causing a few problems (not freewheeling properly and snatching at the chain).

The bike frame, wheels and transmission were pretty filthy. I'm going to try and keep on top of bike maintenance in future and stop things getting that bad again.

If I have time in the morning, I'll ride round the block a few times and try climbing up Moss Lane, a very steep local hill. If that doesn't reveal any problems - fine. If it does, I'll switch to my Cannondale but that would probably mean me walking up the steepest hills because the bottom gear on that is 26% higher than the Basso's, which I do need on the steep stuff.

See you guys at the back of the bunch outside Salem Mill, at about 08:50. (Paul, if you want to meet up with us, look out for Steve H! He will probably be one of the biggest blokes there and is hard to miss - 6' 5" and chunky with it. I'll be the short-arse next to him - a mere 6' 1"!)

BFB and P-P - have a good ride to Southport!

Calum

Just got back from work! It's gonna be a mad dash up the hill towards Oxenhope, I just hope I catch you lot before too long as i'm the king of getting completely lost!

See you lot in the morning!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Aarrgghh.

Last minute change of plan! Got to sort out a problem at home Unfortunately I'm out. Hope you guys have a good day.
Oh, bad luck Steve! Hopefully, catch you on the 28th for Ajay's ride.

Paul - look out for the huge Steve-sized gap in the crowd next to the 6' 1" fat bugger at the back! :thumbsup:

Calum - you will catch us okay. If your train is on time and nobody has any mechanical problems, I'm betting you reach us when we are on the climb up from Scar Top towards the defunct Herders Inn above Wycoller. If by some chance you don't - remember it is left, immediate right at Laneshaw Bridge, then soon after that another right, a short descent and another right for the long climb past Black Lane Ends, then a left to descend to Earby.

Calum

Just left Leeds!! Sipping a latte and munching on some flapjack! I've plotted the route onto GPS software so don't worry, technology will make up for my geographical failures!! See you all sooooooon.

Svendo

Guru
Just back home. Nice to see see you all at the start, I tried to ride slow and wait, really I did, but the red mist descended and off I went...
Hope you all got round without mishap.
Beautiful sunny day nearly all the way round, no sign of rain. Back to base round 2.17, quick food stop at the mill, lovely cakes. Then back to Rochdale to walk dog and feed teenagers.
Chapeau Mr. Crossland who organises it. The fair weather riders wee out, 165 in total apparently just on SITD.

Bloody sat nav......... too many way points, appeared to have loaded fine, got to the start and noticed it said 0km :sad: but appeared to have a line to follow. Got to the point where the route diverged from the return and it decided I was off route and nothing to look at.

Managed to keep jumping between groups until the cafe stop then at some point went wrong. thought I had ballsed up when I hit the Ford and no cattle grid but then caught another group of riders I thought I recognised.

When we reached Harrogate instead of Keighley I knew the rot had set in so peeled off and enjoyed the delight of Poole Bank and home via Bradford. Completely my fault should have asked the 3 if they where Audaxing but hey ho they where probably confused at this random bloke hanging off their rear wheel and too polite to say.

120km in the end total time 6hr 12 mins riding time 5hr 46 mins

Here: http://www.brytonsport.com/mapTrackView?id=446003

:blush:

$

Calum

Just getting into Leeds! Got back to base at about half 4 and managed to just make a 5pm train after getting some food. Apologies for not staying with the group, I was feeling energetic and fancied getting a move on! Hope everyone got back safely and had fun!

Top Bottom