SRAM 22 rival front mech not shifting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Montybike

On a Caadx 22 Rival, swopped the wheels to a pair with road tyres. New SRAM 11 spd cassette, same as original. All is fine on original wheels. Front mech will not shift up to big ring on front. Any ideas, please, why this would happen, please?

XiShT

On a Caadx 22 Rival, swopped the wheels to a pair with road tyres. New SRAM 11 spd cassette, same as original. All is fine on original wheels. Front mech will not shift up to big ring on front. Any ideas, please, why this would happen, please?
Are there still clicks when you try to shift at the shifter? If so it might be cable tension that is the issue...?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Front mech will not shift up to big ring on front.
Can you physically (ie with your hand) push the cage across to the position it needs to be for the large chainring to engage the chain? In any case my first action would be to loosen (unscrew) the upper limit screw a full turn and then adjust it back a bit if you then find it unships the chain on the outside.
I note the OP has not been back on since posting this 3 days ago, so it can't be important to him/her.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Can you physically (ie with your hand) push the cage across to the position it needs to be for the large chainring to engage the chain? In any case my first action would be to loosen (unscrew) the upper limit screw a full turn and then adjust it back a bit if you then find it unships the chain on the outside.
I note the OP has not been back on since posting this 3 days ago, so it can't be important to him/her.

If the OP has no reason to respond, and just wants to see what suggestions are being made, s/he has no need to log in. Doesn't mean s/he hasn't been back to read.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You're both right of course; but which inference/possibility is more likely (much more likely)? While you have time to comment on the thread, any recommendations to solve his/her issue @Poacher or @bonsaibilly , since s/he may just visit and 'see' your comments, without logging on (or answering any questions you (too) might ask.

OP
OP
M

Montybike

Back from a camping holiday in Brittany so all webbed up again, and first look at this site after a busy workload. Apologies for lack of response. I checked this page day after my posting, lots of views and no replies. Took bike to LBS who sorted it in time for me to go on hols. Problem was actually happening with both sets of wheels. Cable to rear mech was dragging under the frame and cable was knackered. New cable and new "guide"? fitted under frame under bb. Thanks to those who took the time to try and help.

Ajax Bay

Guru
All is fine on original wheels.
Problem was actually happening with both sets of wheels.
This is the new/changed information, the lack of which probably deterred people from suggesting remedial action. A change of wheels/cassette should have no effect on the ability of the FD to shift to the large chainring.
Well worth a regular scrub under the bottom bracket (which gets all the sh!t the front wheel throws up) and then two dobs of grease rubbed in where the cables pass through the cable guide, and then (static) run the gears up and down to spread the grease.

OP
OP
M

Montybike

This is the new/changed information, the lack of which probably deterred people from suggesting remedial action. A change of wheels/cassette should have no effect on the ability of the FD to shift to the large chainring.
Well worth a regular scrub under the bottom bracket (which gets all the sh!t the front wheel throws up) and then two dobs of grease rubbed in where the cables pass through the cable guide, and then (static) run the gears up and down to spread the grease.

Thanks for the good advice. The problem did not initially arise on the original wheels then started on both when I was swopping back again.

Top Bottom