SRAM - A little bit crap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickr

Über Member
I have a Planet X London Road which I used for commuting. It has SRAM Rival gears and brakes and I'm not impressed. The gears whilst positive and reliable are clunky compared to my last bike which had Shimano Sora gears and Techno brakes. The hoods are not comfortable and the brakes are not as powerful. The worst thing is that I have to replace the brake pads every 6 months or so as the braking efficiency drop off. With my old bike, pads lasted about 3 years.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Disk pads by chance ? I went for Uber Race Matrix on my MTB - far better braking and longer lasting than SRAM stock pads, and much cheaper.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm using 10 speed SRAM Rival on my winter bike this year - it's my first time using SRAM and I'm similarly not impressed. Shifting's poor but I'm using Avid cantilever brakes so can't comment on braking. It'll probably move to a Shimano Tiagra/105/Ultegra set-up over the summer once I've sourced the components.

Anyone want a SRAM Rival mini groupset in April? :whistle:

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm a Shimano fan, but we have SRAM X3 and X5 on my 'teens' bikes and X9 on my MTB. Can't fault any on shifting TBH.

Bit more clicky than Shimano, but with decent cables the shift is accurate and quick. I'd be looking at age and condition of your cables, and maybe hanger alignment.

vickster

Legendary Member
I love SRAM...Shimano brifters suck for braking with small hands (Sora worst) and the brake lever wobbles :rolleyes:
My well set up Rival 10 and 11 bikes have lovely shifting

Kernow_T

Über Member
I'm using 10 speed SRAM Rival on my winter bike this year - it's my first time using SRAM and I'm similarly not impressed. Shifting's poor but I'm using Avid cantilever brakes so can't comment on braking. It'll probably move to a Shimano Tiagra/105/Ultegra set-up over the summer once I've sourced the components.

Anyone want a SRAM Rival mini groupset in April? :whistle:
Probably

Kernow_T

Über Member
Hmmm - I though I preferred Shimano, then Sram, then Shimano again and now possibly the newer Sram - think it's horses for courses mind. Prefer Sram for my smaller hands (esp Mrs Kernow) and adjustable levers but hate the fact the fact the levers pull inwards too (to aid shifting when shifting whilst climbing in a drive position - which I've never - purposefully - been in.) which would result in the shifter getting trapped behind the brake lever from time to time. Also it was a killer with the 10-speed stuff when you are in the granny ring but it still allows a click if in the hope you have an extra gear shift again, however with there being no granny ring it immediately downshifts into the harder gear 😩😩😩

Bugger; I think I prefer Shimano

Currently, I've got Shimano XTR on my MTB and Sram Red etap on my road bike. I like them both, no problems with either. Historically, I've had mostly Campagnolo which has always been excellent. I have had Shimano 105 many moons ago as well as Ultegra and Dura Ace, they were very reliable. When I think of it, I've never had any issues with any Groupset.

robgul

Legendary Member
..... SRAM kit is predominantly somewhat cheaper than Shimano - that's both at retail and wholesale/trade. Perhaps that's why almost all the PlanetX machines are now SRAM equipped?

Having serviced loads of bikes at the LBS, and test ridden, the whole Shimano hierarchy of groupsets seems better than anything SRAM. That said SRAM chains are pretty good in terms of life and value for money.

Rob

vickster

Legendary Member
..... SRAM kit is predominantly somewhat cheaper than Shimano - that's both at retail and wholesale/trade. Perhaps that's why almost all the PlanetX machines are now SRAM equipped?

Having serviced loads of bikes at the LBS, and test ridden, the whole Shimano hierarchy of groupsets seems better than anything SRAM. That said SRAM chains are pretty good in terms of life and value for money.

Rob
Is that so - I don't think 11 speed Rival on retail is any cheaper than Shimano 105 (the equivalent)? SRAM cassettes cost more too (or maybe there are less reductions). It's certainly far harder to find an off the peg road bike with non 1x10/11 SRAM than one with Tiagra / Shimano 105 / Ultegra

Top Bottom