SRAM Force rear derailleur chain sagging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brento10

Regular
I have fitted a new KMC 11spd chain to my SRAM Force 22 groupset . In the 34t ring my chain is sagging has not done this previously it results in my chain meshing against itself when in 34t front and 5th cog at the rear
The spring tension appears to be ok in the rear derailleur . Any advice would be appreciated. Images attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20200515_165050.jpg
    IMG_20200515_165050.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 10

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Maybe a silly question but did you check the length of chain against your old chain and break accordingly, the new chain looks far too long?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Your (lovely golden) chain is much too long. You'll likely need to take 3 or 4 one inch links off the 58" chain.
Undo the quicklink; thread the chain round the largest sprocket and the large ring but not through the derailleur cage, add a one inch link, allow for the quicklink and use a chain tool to reduce its length. Refit and ride, with no slack!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brento10

Brento10

Regular
Maybe a silly question but did you check the length of chain against your old chain and break accordingly, the new chain looks far too long?
The old chain SRAM supplied with bike also did the same latterly, was fine for first 3 years without meshing in the 34t ring.

OP
OP
Brento10

Brento10

Regular
Your (lovely golden) chain is much too long. You'll likely need to take 3 or 4 one inch links off the 58" chain.
Undo the quicklink; thread the chain round the largest sprocket and the large ring but not through the derailleur cage, add a one inch link, allow for the quicklink and use a chain tool to reduce its length. Refit and ride, with no slack!
The thing is the original chain SRAM supplied with the bike also did this latterly, was fine for the first 3 years with mo problems. I will try removing links one at a time. Many thanks

Ajax Bay

Guru
Give us another picture with the chain on large and large, please.
Please don't remove links 'one at a time': you'll wear out the quick link. I've advised you how to get your new chain the correct length.

OP
OP
Brento10

Brento10

Regular
Give us another picture with the chain on large and large, please.
Please don't remove links 'one at a time': you'll wear out the quick link. I've advised you how to get your new chain the correct length.
Picture with chain 4 links removed in large front and back also large front and small back. Also picture of chain in small front and 6th largest cog at rear chain meshing against itself.

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_102544.jpg
    IMG_20200516_102544.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20200516_103112.jpg
    IMG_20200516_103112.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20200516_102731.jpg
    IMG_20200516_102731.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 42

wajc

Veteran
These are pics of my Force 22 setup. I've replaced the chain in the past but was careful to shorten the new chain before fitting so that it matched the number of links in the original chain.

I'd say that you still need to remove a couple of links at least - my mech is still further forward than yours on big/big. In small/small I can hear more of a rubbing noise (I wouldn't use this though) - so I could probably remove another link or 2 without the chain being too short.

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_114134636.jpg
    IMG_20200516_114134636.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200516_114228343.jpg
    IMG_20200516_114228343.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 25

Sharky

Guru
The old chain SRAM supplied with bike also did the same latterly, was fine for first 3 years without meshing in the 34t ring.
This is puzzling me. If it worked fine for 3 years with the old chain and then started meshing, then it must point to something that has changed in the rear mech? Something broken, bent or not fitting properly?

Hope you find the cause.

OP
OP
Brento10

Brento10

Regular
These are pics of my Force 22 setup. I've replaced the chain in the past but was careful to shorten the new chain before fitting so that it matched the number of links in the original chain.

I'd say that you still need to remove a couple of links at least - my mech is still further forward than yours on big/big. In small/small I can hear more of a rubbing noise (I wouldn't use this though) - so I could probably remove another link or 2 without the chain being too short.
I have reduced the chain to 114 links same as previous SRAM Red chain , and the chain still rubs against itself in 34t front ring and in 6th cog at back. Like you say I wouldn't ride in small front and small rear setup.

wajc

Veteran
I have reduced the chain to 114 links same as previous SRAM Red chain , and the chain still rubs against itself in 34t front ring and in 6th cog at back. Like you say I wouldn't ride in small front and small rear setup.

You shouldn't get chain rub half way down the cassette on an 11 speed set up. I only notice mine doing it on small (chainring)/small (11T on cassette)

It's curious that you say this didn't happen with the previous SRAM Red chain until recently and you say that the new chain has now been reduced to 114 links - the same length as the original.

It's also a bit of a coincidence that you can buy SRAM chains in 2 lengths - 114 links and 120 links

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cn-1170-a1

I may be wide of the mark but maybe the original chain was fitted as supplied with all 114 links and never shortened (because whoever fitted it couldn't be bothered or didn't know any better) to the optimum length for your bike and you were just lucky or didn't notice an issue until the original chain got older.

If it was me I'd still shorten the new chain further. Or if you've still got the old chain shorten that by a couple of links or so and give it a try. When and if you're happy with the way it's running count the number of links you've got and replicate on the new chain.

OP
OP
Brento10

Brento10

Regular
You shouldn't get chain rub half way down the cassette on an 11 speed set up. I only notice mine doing it on small (chainring)/small (11T on cassette)

It's curious that you say this didn't happen with the previous SRAM Red chain until recently and you say that the new chain has now been reduced to 114 links - the same length as the original.

It's also a bit of a coincidence that you can buy SRAM chains in 2 lengths - 114 links and 120 links

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cn-1170-a1

I may be wide of the mark but maybe the original chain was fitted as supplied with all 114 links and never shortened (because whoever fitted it couldn't be bothered or didn't know any better) to the optimum length for your bike and you were just lucky or didn't notice an issue until the original chain got older.

If it was me I'd still shorten the new chain further. Or if you've still got the old chain shorten that by a couple of links or so and give it a try. When and if you're happy with the way it's running count the number of links you've got and replicate on the new chain.
I will give this a go and let you know how it goes, thanks for your suggestions.

Top Bottom