1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Statement Template!

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Vikeonabike, 19 Apr 2010.

1. Vikeonabike

Vikeonabike CC Neighbourhood Police Constable

Sent the NIP out Yesterday, I already know who the driver is though... Hopefully I'll get the ball rolling on Monday and get him interviewed by one of my Traffic Buddies who is also a cyclist.

classic33 likes this.
  2. sue perb

sue perb Active Member

Great news :smile:

3. sue perb

sue perb Active Member

Vikeonabike Would you say a
    SECTION 59 ???:angry:

classic33 likes this.
  4. Vikeonabike

Plus a few other offences too

5. sue perb

sue perb Active Member

Now have a look at this.

:angry: =
    police caution :sad:

6. Vikeonabike

Unfortunately If he has no previous then A caution is all that will happen. They obviously didn't chase any driving offences. Which is a shame....
    Every cyclist should have a point of contact with a pro cycling cop in their area. Unfortunately that is rarely the case.

7. sue perb

sue perb Active Member

I'm thinking private prosecution (may work)

8. sue perb

sue perb Active Member

The nip was not sent out by sgt???

9. Vikeonabike

Nope Constables are quite capable of sending those out. Obviously I can't interview and report him, but a cyclist colleague of mine will!

10. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guru

I emailed this yesterday to a large chain of estate agents:

Dear HR Manager, SW London Regional manager, London Regional Manager

I am making a complaint about an aggressive incident that occurred this morning on the fifth of August about 8am involving one of your employees. In this account I will mention one male driving a white X Estate Agent company car with the index number xxxxxxx. It could be xxxxxxx. I have been cycling for 20 years as a London commuter – I cycle 15 miles each way, per day, from Surbiton in KT6 to Clerkenwell Green in EC1. I am also a competitive cyclist and hold a full car licence. I consider myself to be a competent driver. I am also a qualified rugby coach and consider myself physically confident.

The person I will mention was probably in his late 20s, bald or balding, and getting a bit overweight. I think he had an antipodean’s accent. His features were plain, I think he had a dark, shiny, suit, and was white. I’ll call him Dave.

The incident took place as I went onto Wimbledon Road, as it comes off Plough Lane, heading east towards Garret Lane. This is in the Haydon’s Road area of London. Your employee entered the road behind me. This is a wide road, but made narrow by parked cars on both sides. It’s not safe to overtake on this road due to oncoming traffic. It‘s just over 100 metres long. I take primary along this road – that is, a couple of feet from the parked cars, following the advice from all traffic agencies, including that of the Highway Code. Taking a primary position along this road ensures I have an escape route to my left if need be, and keeps me out of any driver or passenger in a parked car opening a door into me. I have cycled this road in this way for the last 6 years without any problem. Drivers have been patient – the road is only 100 metres long, as I said – and their average speed from A to B is not affected. The weather was dry, clear and warm. I was wearing a red cycling top and had a messenger bag.

I was cycling about 17 mph when I heard a car approaching from behind. I looked over my shoulder and saw the X Estate Agent company car. He pulled up close behind me, revving heavily. I felt this to be aggressive – I’m on a bike and he left me no room for error in case I came to an obstacle.

Now I consider myself – as I mentioned earlier – to be a mature, physically confident, male who is more than prepared to be assertive and not to be bullied. I can only imagine how someone not as robust as me would feel – I have 2 young children who cycle in London and would dread to think they would be intimidated by one of your employees.

I signalled for him to move back – I did so by holding my right hand up, palm facing him, behind me. Whereupon Dave decided to squeeze past anyway, inches from me, as another car approached. As he past, he snarled his lips into a sneer and shouted at me to get “off the centre of the road idiot”. He slowed and shouted this at me about 3 times. At the bottom of Wimbledon Road he turned left. Needless to say, his aggressive behaviour and dangerous driving saved him no time at all, as he had to wait at the roundabout anyway, before turning left.

Dave seemed to be in a rush – maybe he was hungover, late for work, behind in his sales targets – I don’t care.

I will NOT tolerate this behaviour from your employees to me and, potentially, to my kids. I also wonder as to your recruitment procedures – how bright is he, abusing other road users when he’s in a company car which can also be identified by the index number.

Dave is an out-and-out bully as I daresay he would never be as aggressive outside his tin box to somebody like me. I would consider your company, if that is the standard of your employees, to be nasty!

If I was left upset and aggrieved by his actions how you think less robust people would feel?
    I would like to know what actions you intend to take to make sure Dave behaves in a civilised way whilst in your employ; what you intend to do about me being upset by your employees; and what assurances you can give that your company cars drive safely on London roads?

I’d like to hear from you about your response.

I cycle my route daily and have never come across such atrocious driving or aggressive attitude. As Dave is obviously local to the area I hope you deal with him as I certainly will not tolerate such nonsense again if he engages with me in a similar fashion on my commute.

Kind regards
    Crocks
    tel: xxxxxxx

email@yahoo.co.uk

last night I received this:

Dear Mr Crock,

I am very sorry to have read of your experience this morning and have noted your comments and concern. I have now contacted the driver in question and have arranged to meet and discuss his conduct & behaviour at a disciplinary meeting due to take place later this week.

I would like to assure you, that we take these matters very seriously and will be taking appropriate action against the driver,

Thank you for bringing the matter to my attention, I hope to give you a further update and response early next week,

Kind regards

SW London Regional manager etc

classic33 and BentMikey like this.
  11. sue perb

sue perb Active Member

Can this be careless driving??:becool:

12. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guru

Reply - fair enough.

Dear Mr Crockers,

I can confirm that I have met with the driver following your comments and have taken appropriate action which I feel has addressed the points you raised and ensured that our own expectations & conditions have been reiterated to him.
    I am hopeful, given his response, regret & apologises that your comments and the action taken has given the driver more thought & consideration in the future.

I would like to assure you, it is very rare to receive complaints of this nature, nevertheless, I am very sorry that this has caused you any distress & upset. As a result, I have also taken the opportunity to remind all drivers of their ongoing responsibilities which I hope will help avoid any similar instances in the future.

Thank you for your time and understanding whilst I reviewed the matter and trust you are satisfied with the outcome.

Kind regards

xxx

13. Twelve Spokes

Twelve Spokes Time to say goodbye again...

It's definitely plain stupidity.

14. sue perb

sue perb Active Member

15. Archie_tect

Archie_tect De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold

Three kisses... wow!

arallsopp and Crock of Gold like this.