Statin tablets.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Mod note:

A few posts have been cleaned up as it's just turning into a slanging match. No more personal stuff from here on. If the subject still can't be discussed in a civil manner I shall have to lock the thread.

Thanks.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Please do. Put us out of our misery.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No surprise the statin fans want to shut down discussion. Even if it works for you, this toxic fungus distallate derivative does have drawbacks for many and the OP had legitimate questions (which I tried to answer a few pages back).

Dave7

Legendary Member
It's worth pointing out that when the NHS say a cholesterol level higher than 5 is bad, it's simply an arbitrary figure that's been picked.
Some 15-18 years ago the Doctor told me mine was 8.9 and I "was a heart attack waiting to happen". She wanted to put me on Statins. I said no thank you
I went to a herbalist type guy who basically said bullsh*t.......you need to know lots more about the type of cholesterol etc and put me on serrapeptase. 6 months later I was down to 6.0. Aged 73 now and still going strong(ish)😊.
It may well be the Statins are 'the answer' for some people and good for them. On the other hand I think some Doctors prescribe them like sweeties.
For them or not I wish you all the best of health.

classic33

Leg End Member
No surprise the statin fans want to shut down discussion. Even if it works for you, this toxic fungus distallate derivative does have drawbacks for many and the OP had legitimate questions (which I tried to answer a few pages back).
No-one has tried to shut down discussion on medication. They've tried to give their views of what it's like for them.

I'm not on statins, but advice such as flush them down the toilet/just stop taking prescribed medication can't be taken seriously. Just because one thing didn't work for you, doesn't mean it'll work for no-one.

Lot 32 didn't work, for me, but I'll not be telling anyone not to take them based on that evidence.

All medication has side effects, as @vickster said, read the leaflet/ask questions if you're uncertain.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The now departed had (well documented) side effects that affected bike training and he’s carried the chip for 30 years. If he hadn’t had side effects and the medication had worked for him as for others on this thread, perhaps he’d have been less evangelical :scratch: (and bitter?)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Skepticism is good and big pharma is far from blameless but saying don't take this drug because doctors are wrong and you should believe me because doctors say I'm right is just mental contortionism.
Well yes, and hopefully people will spot it as a controversial rant and treat that advice with due scepticism in turn, but sadly there are nuggets of truth in amongst the rants, the likes of me have suffered the denialism of some doctors more recently and I will probably have a chip on my shoulder about it too for as long as I live! I know they seem to work for some people but they really really don't for some.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I was put on Simvastatin a few years ago.

After a few months I got nasty muscle pain, particularly in both forearms.

The doctor binned the statin and put me on something else, but I cannot recall what.

Cholesterol levels dropped and have been fine more recently so I've not been taking anything.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Can anybody tell me why it's roughly 50/50 people who have heart attacks have high cholesterol? I would have thought it would have been closer to 100 % with high cholesterol.

vickster

Legendary Member
Can anybody tell me why it's roughly 50/50 people who have heart attacks have high cholesterol? I would have thought it would have been closer to 100 % with high cholesterol.
Lots of causes of atherosclerosis, smoking, alcoholism, high blood pressure, diabetes, autoimmune diseases etc

Top Bottom