Statin tablets.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Everyone is different though and will react differently to different medication for example as this thread shows already.
If you have concerns or questions, address to your Dr who is familiar with your medical history / medical condition for which they were prescribed :okay:

This bit's important re GP - MIL has moved doctors (mainly due to there being a practice near her Nursing home). MIL's blood glucose still too high (Type 2 on long acting insulin injections) so she's been put on Metformin as well. Thing is, she doesn't get on well with that and feels ill - new GP doesn't know this, but MIL really should have said it doesn't agree with her. She seems to happily accept medication changes then get's the side effects again. Gabapentin dose increases has caused her to fall in the past. Very important for the patient to know what works/what doesn't as well as the GP.

classic33

Leg End Member
No, they ask your permission to ask the nobber GP whose treatment suggestion you refused. Depends on the doctor but I'd be careful about giving any flat "No" lest you suffer the same fate.
Saying "No" to one course of treatment is not the same as refusing treatment. I've said "No", more than once, to a course of treatment, explained why and been given other options.

vickster

Legendary Member
This bit's important re GP - MIL has moved doctors (mainly due to there being a practice near her Nursing home). MIL's blood glucose still too high (Type 2 on long acting insulin injections) so she's been put on Metformin as well. Thing is, she doesn't get on well with that and feels ill - new GP doesn't know this, but MIL really should have said it doesn't agree with her. She seems to happily accept medication changes then get's the side effects again. Gabapentin dose increases has caused her to fall in the past. Very important for the patient to know what works/what doesn't as well as the GP.
This is why it is good to accompany elderly relatives to appointments (eg when changing Dr surgery) - I've been to several with my mum

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Still think that High Cholesterol is bad? Then you should watch this through. Around the 25 minute mark on the video it is shown conclusively that people with the Highest Cholesterol live the longest. They suffer less from all cause mortality than people with lower cholesterol.
This guy articulates what I am saying far better than I can.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYlhG8_nZe0

Well high cholesterol all but killed me 15 years ago ( had it not been for stents), so put that in your pipe and smoke it....

classic33

Leg End Member
That's your experience. Mine is different.
Aside from what's being said, you can challenge medical fact on your records, and get it corrected. You can't challenge medical opinion, but it remains that opinion. Normally one persons opinion, which shouldn't be treated the same as medical fact.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Aside from what's being said, you can challenge medical fact on your records, and get it corrected. You can't challenge medical opinion, but it remains that opinion. Normally one persons opinion, which shouldn't be treated the same as medical fact.
Yes, good advice, but first you have to know that bull shoot is in your notes and by then you may already have an insurance refusal, which itself is something you have to declare to future potential insurers even if you've had the records corrected :thumbsdown:

Still seems good to be very cautious about responding with a flat "no" to a proposed treatment.

snorri

Legendary Member
- Flush then down the toilet as soon as you can. . I'm 71 and feel great. None of those guys on statins will show you likewise. Come on guys put your money where your mouth is. If Statins are so good why do you feel like sh1t?
Why consult the medics if you flush their treatment down the toilet? Lots of 71 year olds feel great. Many medications can have ill effects on a minority of users, these people would seek further advice. Do the majority of statins users feel like ****? I don't think so.
With these comments you make it impossible to take your advice on this topic anyway seriously.

Slick

Guru
My Doctor wanted me to start taking Statins and I said I wasn't that keen so she just said "Fair enough" and didn't prescribe them.
I assume your cholesterol levels are monitored and dealt with in another way?

PK99

Legendary Member
I had a problem with statins aching joints.Doc tried various brands dosage etc.Practice nurse suggested taking one of the small bottles of Benacol.

I had an aortic valve replaced six year’s ago and the consultant was going to prescribe statins along with Aspirin and Bisprolol. Advised him Statins just did not suit me. The pharmacist came to see me an recommended Ezetamide as an alternative High colesterol was not a problem in my diagnosis the valve was not opening fully.The valve has three flaps which open to slow blood flow .In my case only two opened restricting blood flow.

MyBIL is on statins and swears by them A friend prescribed statins has problems with Statins

Horses for courses

I'm on Ezitimibe too.

It works in a different way, sitting in the gut wall and blocking absorption instead of blocking production. Last time I looked it cost about £1k per year compared to pennies.

I have an autoimmune condition and atorvistatin provoked a lupus like rash.

mjr

It's worth pointing out that when the NHS say a cholesterol level higher than 5 is bad, it's simply an arbitrary figure that's been picked.
Not entirely. It's an expert opinion based on various studies. The relevance or general-applicability of those studies (especially to older women) is hotly debated by statin sceptics. However, the intervention point was 5.5mmol/l a few years ago and I forget why it was changed.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Not entirely. It's an expert opinion based on various studies. The relevance or general-applicability of those studies (especially to older women) is hotly debated by statin sceptics. However, the intervention point was 5.5mmol/l a few years ago and I forget why it was changed.
I think the point is that it's a target value rather than a reference value. That is, it's not derived from the 95% confidence limit of a reference population in the way that ranges for most analytes are, but rather is defined as the level above which intervention may be appropriate.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

I think the point is that it's a target value rather than a reference value. That is, it's not derived from the 95% confidence limit of a reference population in the way that ranges for most analytes are, but rather is defined as the level above which intervention may be appropriate.
Almost. Still not exactly arbitrary.

Top Bottom