Steepest climbs in central London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin_P

Guru
You might get some funny looks and possibly arrested on a bike but the climb out from the bottom of Bloomsbury Square car park has go to be quite a climb.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The climb from Base Camp to the summit of Albert Bridge is absolutely brutal.

A bit closer to central London than Croydon, there's Primrose Hill, which is steep enough to get you out of the saddle, but pretty short. Probably just about doable on a Boris Bike if you fancy a challenge.
Out of the saddle? I don't know anything steep enough to get me out of the saddle. Don't you have gears?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Water Tower Hill, which does run North South is a bit steep.
The climb up to the overpass from the High Street in Croydon can be challenging if you've just ridden to Brighton and back.

The only hill on my commute that requires the 39 front chain ring is Shooters Hill

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
Probably already mentioned and not quite central London Muswell Hill, or Alexander Palace. I used to find the long drag from Camden up and over past Holloway prison and Holloway Rd brutal after playing football in Regents park. I know I am a pussy.

Googling peaks of lewisham might turn up some stuff.

And pics.

May post 1 or 2 if have time/opportunity.

Best views of london are from south of the river. One or two peaks you can see both kent and central london laid out below you.

rrarider

Veteran
I lived in NW London for many years and I found the hardest climb was up to Hampstead from the Finchley Road by Arkwright Road. The last few yards increased in gradient and I struggled with my 54 inch lowest gear. I probably wouldn't be able to do it now.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
A bit further out at Dollis Hill there is a road called Parkside, strangely up the side of the park, and it is brutal, but pretty short.

@rraider Arkwright Road is hard because the surface is so awful, speed bumps, platforms, and potholes all combining to screw you up.

Top Bottom