Steepest climbs in central London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Current talk on the forum of riding in London made me think of the steepest climbs in the capital.

I'm aware of some long drags up to the likes of Highgate, Hampstead, Crystal Palace, and Sydenham.

But I was thinking more of the central area.

I recall Hay Hill leading down to Berkeley Square being fairly sharp, albeit only about 50m long.

Aren't there another couple of short, sharpish climbs off Lower Thames Street?

There may be others leading up from The Embankment to the various bridges.

Plenty of people on here ride in London for more miles in a week than I will ever do, so I'm sure there will be steeper and longer climbs.

Over to you.

Colin_P

Guru
Not central central but Pentonville Road between Kings Cross and the Angel used to make me puff on my commute many, many years ago.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Not central central but Pentonville Road between Kings Cross and the Angel used to make me puff on my commute many, many years ago.

Yes, quite a drag up to The Angel/Islington so I think that qualifies for the list.

No, not really. There's Fish Street Hill, the little slip road up to London Bridge, and some of the little back streets near Blackfriars Bridge going up to St Paul's, but none of them are "hills" in any meaningful sense.

Fair enough, although what me on a Boris Bike and you perceive as a hill may differ.

To me, there's a bit of a hill either side of Farringdon Street - up Fleet Street one way, Ludgate Hill up to St Paul's the other.

Brains

Legendary Member
This highest point in the City of London is the site of the old Roman Forum at the Leadenhall/Bishopsgate/Gracechurch/Cornhill junction, so the run from St Magnus Church at sea level to that point would be the lowest to highest over a 300m distance.

However I think the steepest ascent is St Dunstans hill which has a couple of hairpins in it

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Back Hill should score some points for cobbles but it's pretty short and I think currently blocked by construction.

Some of the ramps up from the canals to street level will make most people dismount from a hire bike.

subaqua

What’s the point
Yes, quite a drag up to The Angel/Islington so I think that qualifies for the list.

Fair enough, although what me on a Boris Bike and you perceive as a hill may differ.

To me, there's a bit of a hill either side of Farringdon Street - up Fleet Street one way, Ludgate Hill up to St Paul's the other.
Many years ago on here the question was asked. I suggested both of these and Dan who had a silly bloke waving as an avatar laughed at me for suggesting them .

robjh

Legendary Member
Water Tower Hill, which does run North South is a bit steep.
Right you are. I notice it's near a road called Steep Hill - a clue if ever there was one.
upload_2016-11-28_22-47-57.png

Top Bottom