Steepest climbs in central London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That little hairpin going onto Foxgrove always catches me in the wrong gear, cos it kicks up again after a slight levelling.

I had KoM for 2016 for the Beckenham Hill climb for quite a while, before someone smashed it. Having seen my time obliterated, I took a detour to go and defend it, laden with a heavy backpack.... I managed to shave a couple of seconds off my time, but didn't get anywhere near the new mark.

I sense some hill repeats next weekend... HotA training, of course ^_^

Actually, near you is A232 from Coney Hall up to the Police Club. Not only a nasty thigh burner. It's not great due to the one lane and traffic who like to squeeze past.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Actually, near you is A232 from Coney Hall up to the Police Club. Not only a nasty thigh burner. It's not great due to the one lane and traffic who like to squeeze past.
Yes, nice to pump the thighs up and down that one with a 44-tonner up the chuff ^_^

Not far away, too, are the delights of Jewels and Saltbox Hills. The top bit of Salty is a particular "why am I doing this?" fave of mine.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes, nice to pump the thighs up and down that one with a 44-tonner up the chuff ^_^

Not far away, too, are the delights of Jewels and Saltbox Hills. The top bit of Salty is a particular "why am I doing this?" fave of mine.

Saltbox is a killer. Though I would say it's not London. It is in the LB of Bromley.

U

User482

There's a climb up to Farthing Down, and a short dig in Nunhead, if memory serves.

There's a climb up to Farthing Down, and a short dig in Nunhead, if memory serves.
The steeper climb to Farthing Down is from the south side I think. I well remember leading the remnants of a ride up there - it had been chucking it down - as we reached the top, the skies cleared to blue. Beautiful.
Couple of weeks ago I went DOWN it at about 5:30 in the morning - was glad of my Hope Vision 1.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
When I lived in London I had an Indian acquaintance who lived near Farthing Corner.

Nothing to do with hills, but when he told people where he lived, he pronounced it as 'farting corner'.

Oh, how we laughed.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The last time a night ride went over Farthing Down I almost rode into a cow that was ambling across the road in the darkness. It was wearing reflective ankle bands, which I saw but could not work out what on earth they were. ^_^

From a ride over Farthing I did recently
upload_2016-11-30_19-54-41.png

I had to wait for these ladies to cross the road before I could continue. They weren't in a rush.

outlash

also available in orange
In the city itself, I can only think of Snow Hill, the roads connecting Eastcheap & Lower Thames St (Fish St Hill, Pudding Lane, Botolph Lane etc) and Mount Pleasant that could be classified as any kind of gradient. Outside of that you'd be looking at Highgate (Swains Lane) and beyond (Milespit Hill), High beach (Mott St) and whatever the badlands have south of the river.

Top Bottom