Step 1: Build hill Step 2: Profit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazed

220lb+
I was thinking of ways to make money and had the idea of building an artificial hill. Similar to that of a dry ski slope. Perhaps on some farmers land in Hertfordshire (key cycling county).

The hill would have to be reasonably long and very steep, up to 40%. People would flock to it, some to say that have ridden that sort of gradient and others would regularly use for training. You could charge one off fees and monthly memberships.

Of course the outlay would be high to build and tarmac but once up it would be an absolute gold mine. Thoughts?

classic33

Leg End Member
We have some like that round here, called roads. With more than a few that start at 40%(Steep!)

Last edited:

MikeG

Guru
You know how expensive stuff is, don't you? Good, 'coz £20 to £30 per tonne delivered, multiplied by the tens of thousands of tons you'd need, and the hundreds of hours of digger-time (at £220/ day if you're lucky), plus of course the cost of the land, the agents fees for the Planning Permission, and so on, could make a mess of your profit pretty quickly if you hadn't taken it all into account. Which you have, of course.

classic33

Leg End Member
You know how expensive stuff is, don't you? Good, 'coz £20 to £30 per tonne delivered, multiplied by the tens of thousands of tons you'd need, and the hundreds of hours of digger-time (at £220/ day if you're lucky), plus of course the cost of the land, the agents fees for the Planning Permission, and so on, could make a mess of your profit pretty quickly if you hadn't taken it all into account. Which you have, of course.

You'd handle all the paperwork. For a fee of course.

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
We have some like that round here, called roads. With more than a few that start at 40%(Steep!)

I didn't think there were any steeper roads than hardknott pass (35%) in the UK. Regardless this wouldn't be some little crusty lane that hits high gradient for 10 metres, it would be an epic mound.

When buying in such bulk it would be far cheaper than that for crushed concrete. Likewise you would not hire a digger for £220/day with the time length it would be cheaper to buy diggers outright and sell them after the project. I know what i am doing dont doubt me.

Tim Hall

Halve (or even eliminate entirely) the material costs by digging a huge hole. Pile the excavated material next to the hole, then ride from the bottom of the hole to to top of the pile. No need for imported material. You can thank me later.

Edit: Damn, beaten to it by Drago.

MikeG

Guru
........When buying in such bulk it would be far cheaper than that for crushed concrete. Likewise you would not hire a digger for £220/day with the time length it would be cheaper to buy diggers outright and sell them after the project. I know what i am doing dont doubt me.

The digger price included the driver.

classic33

Leg End Member
I didn't think there were any steeper roads than hardknott pass (35%) in the UK. Regardless this wouldn't be some little crusty lane that hits high gradient for 10 metres, it would be an epic mound.
What's a 33° slope, percentage wise?

Top Bottom