Step 1: Build hill Step 2: Profit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Halve (or even eliminate entirely) the material costs by digging a huge hole. Pile the excavated material next to the hole, then ride from the bottom of the hole to to top of the pile. No need for imported material. You can thank me later.

Edit: Damn, beaten to it by Drago.

You can do better than that. Dig the hole twice as deep, sell all the mud for the £30 a ton Mike above quoted and you can fund the entire project.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm thinking that a worked-out mine might be better. With a bit of imagination, you could have both up and down tracks and double your profit.
surface mine.jpg

Tim Hall

[QUOTE 4966401, member: 9609"]so this hill is going to be 400 foot high with a 40% slope. So I'm thinking some sort of cone shape hill ?
so the base will be 2000' diameter ?
lets give the earth 8 stone per cubic foot
(not really sure how to calc the volume of a cone)(500^2*3.142*400)?
but I reckon you will need 15.7 million tonne
that would be 100 bulk tippers a day delivering for 15 years.[/QUOTE]
Cone volume is pi r^2h/3
So volume is 500^2*3.142*400/3, which is 1/3 of your answer. Which means truck movements for only 5 years instead.
(But what's this tonne business? Surely if you're working stuff out in cubic feet and stone, your answer should be in ton(s))

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
My plan B was to use a an out use quarry. Such as the abondoned slate quarry in Llanberis near Mt Snowdon. Snowdonia is a peak cycling and tourist area and cheaper than Hertfordshire. All it needs is some grading and tarmac.
llanberis-dinorwic-slate-quarry-snowdonia-wales-uk-CX93T6.jpg

alicat

Legendary Member
Dry ski slopes work because it is a long way to get to any actual snow.

You can have that one for free.

Top Bottom