Step 1: Build hill Step 2: Profit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I can't help but feel that the OP might be hurt by the lack of gravitas which has now become associated with this thread.

Hey, it may not be eating dog food but it's not bad

I can't help but feel that the OP might be hurt by the lack of gravitas which has now become associated with this thread.
Agreed. And I'm happy to find out for him contacts.

They will, I suspect, fall over themselves, in their eagerness for him to remove unsightly pit-bings from around West and South Yorkshire. Play his cards right, he might even get PAID to remove them. :whistle:

MacB

Weirdly I actually find this whole concept attractive, a sort of Cycling Folly......if you build something extravagant, and solid, enough future versions of humanity may puzzle over it like we do over Stonehenge

Yeah whoopee doo, now if you had said you'd ridden up it then you would have got a 'like' - whether for the achievement, or the bald faced lie, haven't decided yet
What bike would you have ridden up it on though. The custom Burls 29er with hub gears and all round go everywhere geometry (or did you sell that, I can't remember), The customised Karate Monkey or would you have one made specially for it. If it helps, it's all loose sharp slate, top to bottom, so definitely needing tubeless tyres I'd say, not as steep as it looks either but traction definitely an issue?

Alan O

Über Member
Weirdly I actually find this whole concept attractive, a sort of Cycling Folly......if you build something extravagant, and solid, enough future versions of humanity may puzzle over it like we do over Stonehenge
H: I say, Poirot, I think you've got it - Stonehenge was a fitness gym!
P: Indeed, Hastings, but don't tell Inspector Japp just yet.

classic33

Leg End Member
Step 3:
Wait whilst someone gets hurt before putting a disclaimer up.

Drago

Legendary Member
My posting gives any thread gravitas and credence. Being quoted by me is like a cuddle from a loved one.

I too showed genuine interest and support. With Marky and Drago behind him, far and away the two most popular Cyclechat contributors, the OP can march forward with his head held high, safe in the knowledge the project will be a huge moneyspinner! The masses will go where Marky and Drago lead.*

*The above is a dramatisation for morale purposes and may not actually happen.

MacB

I too showed genuine interest and support. With Marky and Drago behind him, far and away the two most popular Cyclechat contributors, the OP can march forward with his head held high, safe in the knowledge the project will be a huge moneyspinner! The masses will go where Marky and Drago lead.*
*The above is a dramatisation for morale purposes and may not actually happen.

Well Marky's funny, what's your bit in the dynamic duo again?

MacB

What bike would you have ridden up it on though. The custom Burls 29er with hub gears and all round go everywhere geometry (or did you sell that, I can't remember), The customised Karate Monkey or would you have one made specially for it. If it helps, it's all loose sharp slate, top to bottom, so definitely needing tubeless tyres I'd say, not as steep as it looks either but traction definitely an issue?

Wow, just WOW, little bit of a jokey jibe and you come back with a dagger to the heart...you were meant to punish @Bollo not take lessons from him

I was thinking of ways to make money and had the idea of building an artificial hill. Similar to that of a dry ski slope. Perhaps on some farmers land in Hertfordshire (key cycling county).

The hill would have to be reasonably long and very steep, up to 40%. People would flock to it, some to say that have ridden that sort of gradient and others would regularly use for training. You could charge one off fees and monthly memberships.

Of course the outlay would be high to build and tarmac but once up it would be an absolute gold mine. Thoughts?
Thanks I needed a good Laugh :okay:

OP
OP
blazed

blazed

220lb+
You'll be going if he builds it then?
As would untold amounts of others. Either everyone here completely lacks enterprising thinking, or are just having a laugh whilst acknowledging to themselves the idea is good. But serious business, like serious cycling, requires serious people. And that is what has always been my advantage in life.

Apart from riders paying one off fees and monthly memberships, could also charge local sportive organisers to incorporate it into their routes. Could host our own competitions, who can set the quickest time, everesting attempts etc. Pro cycling teams could be charged to allow their riders to train on it. Perfect prep for La Vueltas steep gradients.

Top Bottom