Stevevw down but not out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Have I read that right. You were interviewed, under caution whilst having been under the influence of painkillers adminstered in an A&E!

classic33

Leg End Member
Yeah the fork is for the bin whatever happens and to be honest I think the rest will be too. Not worth the risk, time for a new cycle to work bike me thinks.
Throw nothing at this stage. Don't let anyone near it if possible.

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
Have I read that right. You were interviewed, under caution whilst having been under the influence of painkillers adminstered in an A&E!
I was interviewed under caution in the ambulance on the way to A&E under the influence of loads of pain. No pain relief at that stage although I was well out of it in the A&E when I heard about signing something, which I did not do or could have done.

classic33

Leg End Member
I didn't think that was legal. Unless they were possibly looking at a statement from a person who wouldn't be around to make one later.

First of all, sorry to hear about your crash, I know what you are going through! This accident sounds very similar to the one I had in July. Similar outcome as well, I fractured T1 C6 and 7. I thought i would be riding again in 6-8 weeks after reading all the stuff on the internet and talking to consultants. I am still not on the bike now, so dont think you will be on the bike too soon. I loved the morphine! The nurses said that people didnt normally like the taste of it!
Regarding the bike, I expect they will write it off if it has gone into the side of a car, regardless of the amount of damage. When I took mine in to be evaluated, the guy said it would be written off due to the speed and impact, despite it still being rideable.
Keep a diary of how you feel each day, note down any pain you have and any problems you are encountering. Also note any sleep problems you have. If you need a solicitor I can recommend the ones I am using. They have been excellent in obtaining interim payments to cover my wages quickly and moving things forward and answering any questions or queries I have.
The police will give you the details of the car driver. I had to get them as they would not release them to the solicitor (they could but it would take a while for it all to go through the system) The police where very helpful in my case (not always the case going by other peoples experiences) and refuted all the drivers claims to try and place the blame on me.

and the lovely lady that brings the tea round for me in a baby cup so I can drink it laying at no more than 30 degrees. THANK YOU ALL :wub:

That brings back memories, here I am with my soup!

10514592_555206014585311_166571287725536084_n_zps58611bcd.jpg

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
GWS from what sounds like a nasty one.
After my fall (not cycling, just tripped over at work and snapped my femur) I spent a couple of days on intravenous Morphine and 3 days on Oramorph but it wasn't the taste that I didn't like it was the terrible dreams it gave me, so when they swapped the pin for a bit bigger/stronger one I turned down the Morphine after just 2 days and just relied on 60mg Codeine 4 times a day (nearly off it now, just need it on the bad days for pain)

Get well soon, sounds like a nasty one, but at least with a decent human being (this far) being the bad driver!

The caution part is really weird. Do you mean they said the words "you dunt have to say anything but it may harm your defence of you fail to mention... Etc"? We only need to say that to people we suspect of an offence - I. E. Not you in any circumstance I can think of there!

We do indeed sometimes ride in the Ambo with people who might be about to shuffle off this mortal coil and record their "dying declaration", but we certainly don't need to caution, or even give people a heads up on that. How would you explain that one!

I'm wondering if maybe it was a relatively new Bobby trying to complete some sort of pro forma accident questionnaire that we can sometimes send out to people in the post. They do start with a caution as they are sent to all parties involved, and we don't necessarily know who is at fault to begin with.

Rest assured of it was me, I wouldn't have been cautioning you! Hope the recovery, both physical and financial goes well.

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
I fractured T1 C6 and 7.

I loved the morphine! The nurses said that people didnt normally like the taste of it!

Blimey yours sounds much worse than mine, those higher up vertebrae must be terrible with the neck brace an all. In A&E I had a brace fitted that stayed on for about 12 hours while they did all the tests. I was glad when it came off and I did not have to look at the ceiling all the time.

I found the IV morphine was instant working but did not last that long and the Oramorphe takes about 20 minutes to fully kick in but lasts much longer. I too do not mind the taste, can't say I like it either. I hardly ever dream or if I do I do not remember them but on the morphine I have had vivid dreams during every sleep. So far they have just been weird or nice not had a bad one yet. Probably will now I have thought about it.

I am a glass half full type of person and will always look on the bright side and never give up. As the physio girls found out on Tuesday when I was determined to stand and walk a few steps with my new sticks. OK I admit that by the time I had stood and taken 3 steps forward turned got back to the bed and sat down the sweat was poring off me and I felt like I had just completed a 400 km Audax. The girls told me that most people just say they can't do it and give up. Yesterday when they came round I told them I had been looking forward to them coming, they said that was a first for them.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Steve, just seen this. Wow, heal quick and well buddy.
Nasty accident by the sounds of things. Very similar to mine last year except I managed to get away with superficial injuries and a broken bike (and a comedy shape in the minivans windscreen of my body).

Fingers crossed you are up and about and back on the bike sooner rather then later.

Top Bottom