Stick with tubeless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Slipperdiff

Slipperdiff

Regular
No idea why you need to remove the residue from inside ?? I’m still early stages of tubeless myself and was not sold after getting two punctures that would not seal!? So have now switched to different sealant, see how we get on with that.

When I saw this, I couldn't just leave it festering inside the tyre. The sealant clearly goes off over time - in this tyre it had puddled and set which probably did no favours for the balance of the wheel/tyre combo. I'm not confident the 'set' sealant would be effective in sealing punctures once it is this old. Clearly, fresh liquid sealant is what the system is designed to use.
The other 26mm Bontrager R3 TLR hard case tyre was muckier still.

IMG_4830.JPG

Waterwheel

Regular
I have always thought that tubeless tyres are one of the most stupid things ever invented. And as shown above the sealant eventually goes off so it wont automatically repair a puncture. They are also hard to fit and inflate. I think you need to wet the tyre first with soapy water before mounting it on the wheel and then give it a really huge blast of air or it will not inflate at all. So that rules out those portable pocket pumps. I would much more reccomend those polyurathane foam tyres like Green Tyre which orginally came out 30 years ago. But have now improve a hell of a lot so that they are now on a par with pneumatic tyres.

DRHysted

Guru
I have always thought that tubeless tyres are one of the most stupid things ever invented. And as shown above the sealant eventually goes off so it wont automatically repair a puncture. They are also hard to fit and inflate. I think you need to wet the tyre first with soapy water before mounting it on the wheel and then give it a really huge blast of air or it will not inflate at all. So that rules out those portable pocket pumps. I would much more reccomend those polyurathane foam tyres like Green Tyre which orginally came out 30 years ago. But have now improve a hell of a lot so that they are now on a par with pneumatic tyres.

Pretty much everything you’ve typed is the opposite of my experience of fitting and using tubeless on my MTB.

Jody

Stubborn git
I have always thought that tubeless tyres are one of the most stupid things ever invented.

They are far from the stupidest things ever invented.

And as shown above the sealant eventually goes off so it wont automatically repair a puncture.

Top up sealant once every six months or so. It's a 4-5 minute job.

They are also hard to fit and inflate. I think you need to wet the tyre first with soapy water before mounting it on the wheel and then give it a really huge blast of air or it will not inflate at all.

I had to do neither. Went on dry and inflated on a track pump. Depends on what rim and tyre combo you run

wonderloaf

Veteran
And
Seeing as you are recommending the polyurethane foam tyres I'm guessing that you've actually tried them?

lane

Veteran

Before I tried tubeless I was impressed that Steve Abrahams (1 year time trial) and Mike Lane (audax champion three years running) both used tubeless. Between then they would have cycled maybe 200,000 km or more on tubeless. How does your experience compare and how many KMs do you ride per year?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Going to be honest I’ve had another setback with mine, had another puncture that would not seal but was quite a big hole.
Anyway to make matters worse , my rear wheel is crackered. Lost two spokes recently, hub has a hell of a lot of play and have a big ding in my rim. Granted the ding is just one of those things. The hubs worn out and spokes breaking well I think it’s new wheel time.
A bit disappointing oh and brand is Hunt , maybe the marketing got the better of me :-/

Waterwheel

Regular
I have used the polyurathane foam tyres and really like them. At first the tyres felt a bit dead. But after a week of riding on them I didnt notice any major difference and they hardly wore either. I have read a lot of bad reviews about tubeless tyres but never tried them. The reason being I dont think that they are any good. Especially if you get a big puncture that the sealant wont fix.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Still require a tube to carry around for larger holes , I`m still prepared to continue with them as the ride quality is much better.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That's the second time on this thread that someone with no experience of tubeless has noted that they can be defeated by large objects that cut the tyre, and claimed that as some kind of drawback. Well, no sheet Sherlock. If you go out riding on any kind of pneumatic clincher tyres and you are not equipped with a spare tube, and preferably also a tyre boot, then you are an idiot (or maybe have a support vehicle or don't mind walking).

I'm interested in hearing people's experiences - good and bad - of tubeless tyres. I'm less interested in uninformed opinions. I have plenty of those of my own.

When I next need my wheels rebuilt (I'm running a pair of relatively new Mavic Open Pros at the moment so it'll be a while) I'll probably get some compatible rims and experiment with tubeless. Then, and only then, I'll be qualified to comment.

TBH I'm more swayed by Steve Abraham's experience than anything I've read on here.

Drago

Legendary Member
I prefer to be swayed by my own experience, simply because my needs, preferences, and tolerance for faffing will be completely different to someone else's.

I went back to tubed for no other reason that it suited me better. Many people stick with tubeless because it suits them better. Arguing or trying to persuade someone else otherwise is pointless - what works for them is what matters.

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
I prefer to be swayed by my own experience, simply because my needs, preferences, and tolerance for faffing will be completely different to someone else's.

I went back to tubed for no other reason that it suited me better. Many people stick with tubeless because it suits them better. Arguing or trying to persuade someone else otherwise is pointless - what works for them is what matters.

I agree. However providing information regarding your own experience of using tubeless (what worked and what didn't) may be helpful for others who are considering changing or have already changed. Saying it is terrible when you have no experience not so much.

Reactions: C R

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

That post is so reasonable it has no place on Cycle Chat. I'm especially surprised it was you, hang your head in shame.

Top Bottom