Sticking a Jubilee Clip on a Brompton Suspension Block

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Someone suggested sticking a jubilee clip on Boudicca's suspension block to firm it up a bit more.

Daft question.... what size (width-wise) of jubilee clip and where on the block?
One that fits, around the squidgy bit.

12boy

Guru
Adrian I am so glad you posted that picture. I never need to roll my bike about folded and found heel strike to be a problem. So I mounted a set of smaller hard plastic wheels in place of the original ones. I tried folding it without wheels which didn't work well. Using derailleur jockey wheels looks like an ideal solution. I'll try that after work today. It looks like the somewhat cumbersome block that attaches to the rear brake has been replaced with a smaller piece. Do you know what it is?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I suggest experimentation is the only way. I'd probably buy a couple of clips and try one or both in various positions.

Kell

Veteran
The only thing to be slightly wary of is that when I did it, I found I had problems with the weight of the clip rotating the rubber block.

I didn't think anything of it until I realised that I couldn't lock the rear end in place.

In the end I took mine off as I was worried about it cutting into the rubber block - although it was unmarked when I took it off - and also because I couldn't detect any discernable difference.

Now I've just really tightened the block right up to compress it.

robgul

Legendary Member
I have to ask - given the availability of the Brompton "hard" rubber block why do you feel it necessary to try and make it harder still? I'm pretty tall and heavy and the hard block seems fine for riding.

Rob

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The suspension block is shown being attached by a through bolt, surely tightening that bolt further will increase the 'preload' on the block thus making it stiffer. Downside may be it 'lowering' the rear end a touch.

12boy

Guru
I have replaced my cheesy plastic wheels with derailleur jockey wheels as in the picture Adrian provided. I am pretty sure that between the reduced aero drag from the previous wheels and the lightening of the bike by a gram or two I will be cruising at a much faster speed, perhaps even 7 mph! BTW cranking down on the retaining nut on the suspension block will firm it up since it restricts the distance it can compress.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have replaced my cheesy plastic wheels with derailleur jockey wheels as in the picture Adrian provided. I am pretty sure that between the reduced aero drag from the previous wheels and the lightening of the bike by a gram or two I will be cruising at a much faster speed, perhaps even 7 mph! BTW cranking down on the retaining nut on the suspension block will firm it up since it restricts the distance it can compress.
That was what I thought, nice to have it confirmed by someone who owns one though. :biggrin:

I've got a firm block, which is slightly different from what is shown on the Brompton site, in that it is slightly tapered (second photo shows this best).

View attachment 343571
View attachment 343572
Where do I stick the JC - round the middle two bits?

The original Brompton block was standard, hence the clip

The later introduction of graded blocks was supposed to make the modification unnecessary

As for the wheels, Mine are pre-easy wheels and the fashion then was to add skate board wheels

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
This one from Joseph Kuosac is the firmest I tested. I got one sample here, anyone in UK want to test it (free to first reply in exchange some thoughs and photos)? .

5_jpg.jpg

Top Bottom