Sticky rear brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My Giant TCX1 is now 5 months old. It is fitted with cross-top or interruptor levers.

Over a period of time the rear brake has got stickier and stickier to the point where the rear brake does not always release.

Went to supplying LBS and they diagnosed a new cable needed. They offered to fit but I didn't have time - took the new cable home and fitted it myself.

When I took out the old cable I noticed a sharp angle in it at the point where it would have exited the cross-top lever. Clearly the cause of the problem.

The new cable works fine.

However, I have now noticed that if I turn my front wheel right the cable exiting the cross-top lever gradually assumes a very acute angle - the housing bends very sharply down from the ferrule that enters the lever.. It is routed forward then curving down the LH side of the head- tube and then onto the top tube.

I am now wondering if the problem will rear its head again!

Would I be right in thinking the housing is too short?

Would this be unusual to come from the manufacturer like this?

Certainly sounds like this is the root cause of the problem, I'd be inclined to put a new bit of outer in there.
I suppose if a manufacturer cuts their cable even 10mm shorter, if they sell thousands of bikes they'll save money, from experience there's often not a lot spare.

Top Bottom