Still front brake first - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Sixty years ago, back in the days of steel rims and less than efficient brakes, I was advised always to apply the front brake first ( about half a second - ? ) thus apparently avoiding the rear wheel 'skidding out' from under you. :eek: This 'front brake first' is something that has been second nature to me ever since.
With the advent of alloy rims and a plethoria of fancy braking systems now, does this advice still apply - ? :whistle:

It does if the second option is hitting a brick wall. :okay:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I guess it depends on the ground conditions, weather and how well you know your bike and its handling characteristics under braking etc.
I don't think there's any one method of braking that covers every eventuality but I suppose if it came down to it, it would be rear first then front. That way if anything is going to lock up, it'll be the rear which gives far more controllable a slide than the front.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sixty years ago, back in the days of steel rims and less than efficient brakes, I was advised always to apply the front brake first ( about half a second - ? ) thus apparently avoiding the rear wheel 'skidding out' from under you. :eek: This 'front brake first' is something that has been second nature to me ever since.
With the advent of alloy rims and a plethoria of fancy braking systems now, does this advice still apply - ? :whistle:
Yes. Most of the braking on bicycle or motorcycle is done through the front brake - for example the mahoosive twin discs on the front of a motorcycle and the tiddley rear one. The exception may be on gravel/wet surfaces where the rear wheel skidding is less likely to result in an off, but once the rear skids you've lost pretty much any form of braking anyhow.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

Drago

Legendary Member
Depends so much on the scenario. For example, if you just want to make the bike fall in a bit quicker mid corner you'd only use the rear anyway.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I don’t believe there’s a rule for every situation. Sometimes a front bias is needed, sometimes I’ll use only the rear, for example to control speed on loose downhill terrain. Dogmatically using a single rule will have seen me on my backside countless times.

On the road it is probably easier to be more consistent but even then situations change.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I mostly only use the front, which is I suspect is able to fold the front fork if slammed on, but I'll use the back on slippery surfaces, when cornering, when towing ang for hill starts.

si_c

Guru
I use the rear to slow gently but to stop I pull both together. It's really easy to lock the back wheel up though if the road is even slightly slippery so I usually feather it a bit.

Top Bottom